24hth03
1 Copper

XPS 15 doesn't start - Need workshop in Gothenburg Sweden

My XPS 15 L521x doesn't start up. After I press the power button I can hear the fans running but nothing else happens. I need a workshop in Gothenburg Sweden to take a look at this for me.

Regards,

Hermann  Thór Hauksson

Göteborg, Sverige

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GNUDell
1 Copper

RE: XPS 15 doesn't start - Need workshop in Gothenburg Sweden

Hey,

I'm on a Dell XPS 15 9530 therefore I do not know if it works....

I also had such a problem once with my XPS15 (seems to have an slightly unstable bios). Wanted to switch on and not even the Dell bios logo came up.

Fist try: to disconnect everything from your laptop. No usb devices and also no power-adapter.

I pushed several keys before I switched my laptop on. I don't remember which it had been but try each:  ESC, F2 (bios), or F10 (boot selector). Somehow (or it was randomly) it brought my dell up again.

I pressed and hold the keys before I toggled the power-on button.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
24hth03
1 Copper

Thanks for the suggestion!
It still didn't work for me if I understood you correctly. I tried pressing and/or holding down these keys after and during I powered it on, but nothing different happens.

Somewhere I read a suggestion to remove the battery and hold down the power button for a minute or so to drain all charge from the machine, but that's hard for me since I can't loosen these tiny T5 screws to remove the bottom panel without ruining them...

If nothing like this works to wake it up someone said the motherboard might be dead, so now I am asking if anyone knows about a workshop that can take care of a Dell in Gothenburg?

0 Kudos
GNUDell
1 Copper

Yea, I meant exactly as you did: Pressing and powering on.

I do not know how if battery removal works (if the bios settings would have messed up themselfes (nowadays possible with these high-end UEFI <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> (too much code))). Maybe even laptop MBs have a backup battery like desktop boards? But it is worth a try.

Personally I would immediately get me such T5 torx screw drivers in some hardware shop (hey, Goteborg is a big city) and first get me the data you need from the disk (usb sata adapter).

The rest can wait. And at least in Germany the removal or exchange of a harddisk does not change the warranty. And I suggest this law is guilty for all of us EU citizens. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
24hth03
1 Copper

Regarding the warranty, Dell says my computer only has a 1 year warranty (and the computer is 18 months old). Isn't there some EU-law that says they must provide a 2 year warranty?

0 Kudos
24hth03
1 Copper

I found these guys that took care of my problem: http://www.joabdata.se/

At first they were afraid it was the motherbord, but then they found out it had to do with the graphics card. Connection to one chip was fried or had lost connection because the cooling was not working properly.

0 Kudos