Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 18:00

XPS 15 fan, on/off/on/off, gahhh!!!

My new XPS 15 L502X fan comes on for a second then turns off for a second, then repeats. it does this process half a dozen times... then stops for 10 secs then repeats.

I get this issue when just doing light stuff like word/internet/etc...

Is this by design or a fault? My temps ussualy lie between 55-60C when this is happening...

Is there a setting i can adjust?

Also is 55-60C too hot for an i7 2720qm thats doing literally nothing?

5.2K Posts

March 26th, 2011 19:00

Those temps are OK. Check to see if there is a BIOS update. If not, contact Dell.

April 7th, 2011 20:00

I have the same problem.  It started happening after I updated the bios to A04.  So beware that.  Of course if you already have the problem - you might as well try it.  

I found that if I put the computer on power-saver mode and then make it sleep (close the lid) and then open it again - it works ok.  The problem exists as soon as I turn on the high-performance mode or any mode that uses active cooling.  It won't go back again until the machine is put to sleep.  Just changing the mode doesn't work.  I really hope they fix this.  It's annoying and it puts wear and tear on my computer.

Good luck,

Frank.

15 Posts

April 8th, 2011 01:00

I can confirm Frank's method work on  XPS - L502X i7Qm

It anoyes me that thers no better fix then this try and error method :emotion-18:

15 Posts

April 12th, 2011 05:00

Would be nice to know if DEV's even read these forums.

April 12th, 2011 05:00

I'm having the same problem with the fan of my L502X. It's frustrating... It's a brand new computer. Called customer service, upgraded to the latest bios (A04), but still the same issue: the fan goes on and off any time it chooses.

Can we expect a Bios update from Dell that truly works? Is this overheating normal for an Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM processor with 6GB RAM? Speedfan only allows me to monitor the temperatures (and they aren't too high, by the way.) I also tried I8kfangui, but it doesn't work with Windows 7.

People have reported in different forums that they've replaced the machine, but nothing changes. I really like this laptop, except for this annoying issue. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

11 Posts

April 13th, 2011 16:00

Hi,

I have the same issue and since I have never had any other BIOS version other than A04, this seems "normal" to me.

Assuming the issue is not due to a higher ambient temperature, I presume Dell will issue a new BIOS update in short order.

15 Posts

April 14th, 2011 01:00

Hi,

I have the same issue and since I have never had any other BIOS version other than A04, this seems "normal" to me.

Assuming the issue is not due to a higher ambient temperature, I presume Dell will issue a new BIOS update in short order.

:) I wouldn't assume anything tbh.

April 15th, 2011 15:00

A discussion about this annoyance has taken place here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/561563-l502x-fan-starts-up-every-several-mins-any-xps-fan-control-apps.html

Please pay attention to the latest message. Could it be an NVIDIA issue instead of a fan issue? Has anyone tried to update ALL of the latest drivers, not only the BIOS?

April 15th, 2011 16:00

I'm 100% updated to the dell update site.  still have the issue.

OK, since it appears to be a common issue, does anybody know what's the best way to approach Dell? I'd really like to see this solved ASAP. When I called customer service, the technician just said he hadn't heard about a widespread problem with the L502x fan.

11 Posts

I cannot update the NVIDIA drivers since I could not find a driver package for Win 7 on the NVIDIA site.  I saw a Beta driver but I did not want to install it.

I've had this issue since I got the laptop (received it on Monday).

I suggest raising a case with Dell to investigate.

April 15th, 2011 17:00

Thanks, but...

I have the latest Dell drivers for NVIDIA and the latest Dell Bios (A04).  My fan problem still exists.

In fact, I didn't have a problem until I upgraded my bios from A01 to A04.

Thanks, but...

I have the latest Dell drivers for NVIDIA and the latest Dell Bios (A04).  My fan problem still exists.

In fact, I didn't have a problem until I upgraded my bios from A01 to A04.

Can we go back to A01? My 502x laptop arrived last week so I've always had BIOS A04.

6 Posts

Use Dell Vista drivers for Windows 7, it worked for my NVIDIA, and I had the same fan issues on a Latitude D630 after a rebuild which I solved with updating the BIOS.

If the lastest version Bios is causing the problem maybe try an earlier version.

There is a copy of A01 available here:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R297342&SystemID=XPS_L502X&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=27126&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=30&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=446147

I haven't tried installing it yet so I don't know if it works.  :)

No Events found!