Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 18:00

XPS 15 fan, on/off/on/off, gahhh!!!

My new XPS 15 L502X fan comes on for a second then turns off for a second, then repeats. it does this process half a dozen times... then stops for 10 secs then repeats.

I get this issue when just doing light stuff like word/internet/etc...

Is this by design or a fault? My temps ussualy lie between 55-60C when this is happening...

Is there a setting i can adjust?

Also is 55-60C too hot for an i7 2720qm thats doing literally nothing?

July 14th, 2011 08:00

I got my dell xps 15 yesterday, I did above changes, still the fan goes on and off , its driving me crazy...What is the return policy on new xps15, i like the machine but the fan sucks. I cannot have this crazy fan going on and off in meetings.

July 14th, 2011 11:00

I just returned it...spoke to dell..I felt like i was working on a vaccuum cleaner...Fan goes on and off continuously...pretty annoying in the meetings.

Dear DellLaptopXPS,  I shared your frustrations initially and read through this posting and was able to successfully quiet my fan down significantly.  I did call Dell on this issue and they took no accountability for this issue and "were" not aware of this problem.  The problem with calling tech support is, you are talking to some very low level employee with little care or concern for your problem, so the coined solution is to return the laptop.  Keep in mind, that these XPS's have only been out a few months, so this issue will undoubtedly rise to the top.  Its a very poor engineering design.  Keep in mind that the XPS is extremely powerful running both an I7 Intel chip along with a NVIDIA GPU.  These run very hot and are both contending for the fan.  I will keep looking for a software fix from Dell when they finally acknowledge that they have a problem.  

Best Regards,

Hmm..I did not find any such fix , hope Dell had that fix published somewhere, can you point ..how to run continually at low speed ? THere is no gaurantee that Dell will release any fix. I expected Dell rep to respond on this forum, its 6 tabs long. At least they should consider so many customer complaints. Looks like bunch of customers trying to figure out a hit or miss solution after spending that kind of money and worst part is to live with that fan noise assuming it will go away or get used to it. Dell should do better job answering and fixing the issues. I am also going to post this on Dell idea strom and every web site that I know. So that people are aware of this issue.

The software fix which has been mentioned here is to run the fan continually at a lower speed.  At the lower speed, you can hardly hear the fan, don't recall what RPM, that is, but its almost undetectable.    Trust me, as someone who has been in technology for years, a lot of hardware issue are often fixed in firmware revisions since replacing the hardware is cost prohibitive.  

5.2K Posts

There are programs available that allow control of the fans with respect to temperature and fan speed. I use I8kfangui for my E1705, and it works great. Hardly ever hear the fans and temperature control is excellent (having two fans does help). With the standard BIOS control program, id did the same as yours. The temp was allowed to go too high, so the fans would go on supersonic.

Unfortunately, this program has not been updated by the author for several years. It will measure the temperatures with my M1530, but doesn't even recognize the fans. Dell has a funny way of controlling fan speeds which is not compatible with newer laptops.

It would pay to search for other control programs that might work. I haven't looked in a while, as the M1530 has a quiet fan.

if you think it is a engineering design problem, probably there wont be a software fix. I thought I would rather spend that kind of money and get something else with less issues. Thanks for replying though.

15 Posts

July 15th, 2011 12:00

Theres a workaround to the fan issue on page 5 of this thread.

11 Posts

Should send a petition general of all the members who have this problem and send it to dell

Yes, I think that would be a good idea since this seems to be a common issue and Dell is not acknowledging it.

2 Posts

Just got my XPS 15Z....the fan on and off problem is there...Hope Dell will have a fix soon, otherwise I have to return it.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2011 13:00

Can you give me more details ...Dummies guide. Thanks

15 Posts

July 15th, 2011 13:00

The post is quite explanatory... What are you not understanding?

11 Posts

July 15th, 2011 14:00

I took the option screen 3D with my xps, and the optimus don't work with this configuration 3D :emotion-5:

15 Posts

July 15th, 2011 14:00

You say you dont have Optimus, but as long you have installed a NVIDIA driver, you DO have it. Optimus Is the same as NVIDIA KontrollPanel.

No Events found!