Goodbyemoff
1 Copper

XPS 15 fan, on/off/on/off, gahhh!!!

My new XPS 15 L502X fan comes on for a second then turns off for a second, then repeats. it does this process half a dozen times... then stops for 10 secs then repeats.

I get this issue when just doing light stuff like word/internet/etc...

Is this by design or a fault? My temps ussualy lie between 55-60C when this is happening...

Is there a setting i can adjust?

Also is 55-60C too hot for an i7 2720qm thats doing literally nothing?

0 Kudos
140 Replies
kirkd
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 15 fan, on/off/on/off, gahhh!!!

Those temps are OK. Check to see if there is a BIOS update. If not, contact Dell.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

0 Kudos
frankfletcher
1 Nickel

I have the same problem.  It started happening after I updated the bios to A04.  So beware that.  Of course if you already have the problem - you might as well try it.  

I found that if I put the computer on power-saver mode and then make it sleep (close the lid) and then open it again - it works ok.  The problem exists as soon as I turn on the high-performance mode or any mode that uses active cooling.  It won't go back again until the machine is put to sleep.  Just changing the mode doesn't work.  I really hope they fix this.  It's annoying and it puts wear and tear on my computer.

Good luck,

Frank.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shogoot
1 Nickel

I can confirm Frank's method work on  XPS - L502X i7Qm

It anoyes me that thers no better fix then this try and error method emoticon.Huh?.title

0 Kudos
Jack Marcus
1 Copper

I'm having the same problem with the fan of my L502X. It's frustrating... It's a brand new computer. Called customer service, upgraded to the latest bios (A04), but still the same issue: the fan goes on and off any time it chooses.

Can we expect a Bios update from Dell that truly works? Is this overheating normal for an Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM processor with 6GB RAM? Speedfan only allows me to monitor the temperatures (and they aren't too high, by the way.) I also tried I8kfangui, but it doesn't work with Windows 7.

People have reported in different forums that they've replaced the machine, but nothing changes. I really like this laptop, except for this annoying issue. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Shogoot
1 Nickel

Would be nice to know if DEV's even read these forums.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
OllieKM
1 Nickel

Hi,

I have the same issue and since I have never had any other BIOS version other than A04, this seems "normal" to me.

Assuming the issue is not due to a higher ambient temperature, I presume Dell will issue a new BIOS update in short order.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Shogoot
1 Nickel

Hi,

I have the same issue and since I have never had any other BIOS version other than A04, this seems "normal" to me.

Assuming the issue is not due to a higher ambient temperature, I presume Dell will issue a new BIOS update in short order.

🙂 I wouldn't assume anything tbh.

0 Kudos
Jack Marcus
1 Copper

A discussion about this annoyance has taken place here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/561563-l502x-fan-starts-up-every-several-mins-any-xps-fan-control-apps.html

Please pay attention to the latest message. Could it be an NVIDIA issue instead of a fan issue? Has anyone tried to update ALL of the latest drivers, not only the BIOS?

0 Kudos
frankfletcher
1 Nickel

I'm 100% updated to the dell update site.  still have the issue.

0 Kudos