nesazemunac
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 fan, on/off/on/off, gahhh!!!

Same here its not that bad, I can't hear it unless it's quiet in the evening...

Laptop is best buy in prise range no doubt, for me it's not a problem to whait for new bios or whatever to fix the issue....

I agree, be patient...but thay have to know that problem exists in order to fix it, I'm not so sure they know is mass problem...

πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
nesazemunac
1 Copper

I turned off some gadgets and fan is "ok"...strange....

0 Kudos
WarezN
1 Copper

Have you tried the new A05 BIOS, the problem solved with this?

0 Kudos
nesazemunac
1 Copper

When I bought my XPS A05 bios was on it...

Here are improvements A04 to A05:

Fixes/Enhancements:

1. Updated Intel microcode.

2. Fixed issue of battery information(capacity in Watts) does not report correctly in Dell Support Center.

0 Kudos
irishdef21
1 Copper

hey fellas, i just recieved my xps 15 2 days ago and noticed this problem rather quicky....i'm fairly happy that the sleep trick "works"....THANK GOD i found this. does in work in other power plans? or just power saver?  thanks

0 Kudos
Shogoot
1 Nickel

quote from lamer01

"

I have resolved my problem.

1. Install 270.61 drivers

2. Uninstall ALLL GPU and Fan related tools like NVidia System Tools, GPU-Z, NVidia Inspector, speedfan, etc.

3. In Optimus, set the Intel HD as the Global Default.

Now you have the choice of:

1. Go into power settings and choose 'Power saver'. This will make it so that the fan NEVER goes on at all

or

2. You can choose 'Max Performance'. This way the fan will go on for 10-30 seconds and they it stays off for 5 or so minutes before the cycle repeats.

Of course, if you start up games and stuff, the fan will run continuously but for everyday tasks like email, browsing, etc, the behaviour I described is what you should see." 

Hi ive been trying to fix this problem forever.

Can you make a dummies guide?, im not used to change settings and will need a better description on how to set Intel HD to defualut in Optimus. I dont know what Optimus is. is that a program? a tab in a config program? Please explain πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
Pyxster
1 Copper

the "sleep trick" works in any power mode, about 90% of the time.  And like I said before, opening a program that uses the NVIDIA card will stop the bug as well, again about 90% of the time.

0 Kudos
Shogoot
1 Nickel

@Pyxster The close the lid trick is not working for me, in any power plan.

0 Kudos
Pyxster
1 Copper

Hmmm, I'm not sure what is up.  My laptop actually only does the fan thing about once a week now, I'm not sure if it's because most of the time I'm running 3D apps or Photoshop, or the updates I have or the power plan settings.

In my advanced power settings, for power saver I have the following settings:

Sleep > Allow hybrid sleep is Off  (for both battery and plugged in)

Intel Graphics > Max Battery Life  (for both battery and plugged in)

Processor power management >

-Minimum state 5% (for both battery and plugged in)

-System cooing Passive  (for both battery and plugged in)

-Max state 25% (for both battery and plugged in)

I crank everything up for the Dell setting, and switch to that if I'm doing anything demanding.

My XPS 15 has the 2720QM Processor and 2GB NVIDIA 540M video, so perhaps those drivers have something to do with it vs the drivers for the other graphics card, or cooling of the other processors?

0 Kudos
Shogoot
1 Nickel

I changed the parameters to what your indicating . The only parameter that was not correct was the max state that i had at 100%.

The bad news is the close lid trick is still not working πŸ˜•

Im sending the machine in to support in a few days, i will update this thread whit the result when it comes back in a week or two...

0 Kudos