Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2011 22:00

XPS 15 l502x freezes during gameplay

Hi, ive been having this problem for a while now and it is very annoying. During gameplay my computer freezes, sometimes I can ctrl-alt-del and end the game but sometimes the computer goes completely unresponsive and i have to hold down the power button. At first i thought it might just be a problem with call of duty black ops but it has happened in some other games now too, even old games like warcraft 3. What is wrong with my laptop? Is it just drivers or is there actually something wrong with my laptop? Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

7 Posts

September 21st, 2011 00:00

In the Nvidia forums I´ve seen the same problems from owners of Acer, Samsung, asus and other laptops. All of them have in common the Optimus Technology.

It has problems with games, and with 3d apps, like 3ds max and Maya.

After so many drivers that nvidia has put out, with no solution, I really think it´s a design issue. I´ve seen that every laptop specs posted are from machines with 2nd gen i5 and i7.

Motherboard replacements do not fix the issue. Not yet anyhow.

Maybe it´s not a Nvidia issue, but from Intel.

I´m tired of reading pages and pages of forums with no real solution. Everyone advices to try and get your money back, and buy a laptop with AMD ATI.
Does it really have to come to this?
Are we stuck with faulty computers that no one will ever fix?

Come on Dell !!! get the faulty designer to take responsability and fix our machines !!!

32 Posts

September 21st, 2011 09:00

But, Why the problem not appear if you don't use your AC Power and using only from the battery power?!

It's can't be an Nvidia problem,

it's can be only the Motherboard.

so many people ask dell to replace their MB and everything is ok after it.

So what is the solution?

Replacing the MB will not fix it anymore?

174 Posts

September 21st, 2011 10:00

Have you contacted Dell Support yet?  If not, why not?

1 Message

September 22nd, 2011 18:00

My DELL XPS L502X is having the same problem that you mentioned above. It freezes when running games like Warcraft and WOW, and I cannot restart the program unless I restart my laptop. From the WOW forum, I learnt that the other XPS L502 owners encounter this problem too. If you guys find any solution to this, please keep me informed. Thanks you so much.

11 Posts

September 23rd, 2011 08:00

Finally, got my motherboard replaced yesterday everything seems to run fine except for the woofer which they will be fixing soon...

In my case i think it was the motherboard that had some power issues....

i hope this helps you guys.

32 Posts

September 24th, 2011 10:00

TanveerSk, its good to know that but how you convinced Dell to replace your motherboard?

what you told them in the support? and did you sent you laptop to their lab for this replacement?

thank you!

7 Posts

September 24th, 2011 19:00

I would also like to know what you did. A couple of weeks ago I spent like 3 hours online, with a guy who didn´t know how to check a driver version, or how to enable the GPU. He started looking around the Intel video driver config.

I asked him if it was his first time doing support, and if he even knew where to activate the GPU. He started giving excuses, so I told him, "Thank you for wasting my time", and then terminated the chat.

11 Posts

September 25th, 2011 12:00

i just explained them that my laptop was freezing randomly often while using 3d applications or playing games....first they told me to update the drivers, bios etc and keep laptop under observation for one week...then next time they guided me through some trouble shooting and they told me that my motherboard has to be replaced to solve the issue....it was pretty straight forward experience...

32 Posts

Today i call to Dell support and told them my problem and they told me that "This is a problem with your windows" and "You need to scan your pc for viruses" and "You need to format your computer and reinstall the windows".

:(

I don't know what to do.

How to format my pc and scan for viruses will fix an hardware issue?

11 Posts

and yes i did not send laptop anywhere instead a technician came to my home and replaced it within minutes....overall I HAVE TO SAY Great Customer service from Dell..

7 Posts

September 25th, 2011 13:00

I think you can probably say that you already reinstalled windows, already tried the last drivers available for download at dell.com. and also the ones from Nvidia.com

It didn´t work for me...  but hopefully for you it will.

32 Posts

September 26th, 2011 13:00

They told me to do a system diagnostic , In the diagnostic there is no a NVIDIA 540M check or AC Power check so there is no way to check if this is the problem I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, THEY DON'T WANT TO FIX MY PC!!! PLEASE, DELL, TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO FIX THIS FREEZING!! :( i cannot play anymore with my pc, IT'S A NEW PC, why i got it with a problem?!

174 Posts

September 26th, 2011 14:00

Contact Dell support via chat.  Tell them about your Diagnostics results.  The diagnostics check the Dell system components, not third party components.  You may have to contact them several times to resolve issue..  Sometimes they will take control of your PC to analize problems.  IF you are not satisfied ask them to escalate the issue to a more knowledgeable engineer. There are some very good people there.   If you still don't get satisfactory resolution go to Dell Facebook page:  www.facebook.com/dell

At top of the page click on "Get Started" and answer the questions.  This gets you into the Problem Resolution group.  You may get better help here.

22 Posts

September 28th, 2011 09:00

Here you go.

l502xcrash.blogspot.com

Hope this helps

No Events found!