Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2011 22:00

XPS 15 l502x freezes during gameplay

Hi, ive been having this problem for a while now and it is very annoying. During gameplay my computer freezes, sometimes I can ctrl-alt-del and end the game but sometimes the computer goes completely unresponsive and i have to hold down the power button. At first i thought it might just be a problem with call of duty black ops but it has happened in some other games now too, even old games like warcraft 3. What is wrong with my laptop? Is it just drivers or is there actually something wrong with my laptop? Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

December 21st, 2012 17:00

I think I may have found a fix. in the nvidia control panel, turn off vsync. it worked for me!

December 24th, 2012 09:00

In the intel graphics settings, click advanced mode, then select 3d, check custom settings and for vertical synch, select application settings.  this works for me. I have not had any problems since I did this.

January 4th, 2013 13:00

Nevermind. it happened again. Same stuff, Different day.

174 Posts

January 4th, 2013 13:00

SOS.   Apparently you have not searched the Community.     There are many posts about this issue.    Most had to have the motherboard replaced!    Mine has the Nvidia 525M GPU and has never experienced the problem.   Most others have the 540M or above.   Make sure you have the most recent Nvidia Driver DIRECT from Nvidia.   Set your Nvidia Control panel (Help Tab, Preferences, Updates) is set to notify you automatically when new updates are available.   The latest driver is 310.70.   Nvidia is always fixing bugs and updating for new games.

If you have upgraded to Windows 8, its a new world out there!  :emotion-15:

January 4th, 2013 19:00

I've had the motherboard replaced as well. i've downloaded all the drivers directly from nvidia, intel and realtek as well. i've done all of that. this issue does not go away even after upgrading to windows 8. I've even done a fresh install of 8 just to make sure it didn't happen again, but it did.

174 Posts

January 4th, 2013 19:00

I am at a loss as to any more help since you had MB replaced.   One caveat is Win 8.   Windows 7 is much better than Windows 8.    I know this issue has been around since the day after the last supper with Win 7.   But it seemed to go away after MBs were replaced and newer drivers installed, also the most recent BIOS.   Might try going back to WIN 7.   There have been lots of issues with WIN 8.

8 Posts

January 4th, 2013 21:00

Try the solution on this forum post discussion here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19409241.aspx

19 Posts

January 5th, 2013 07:00

Sorry if this suggested answer has already been posted but I had issues when playing Guild Wars 2.

After 15-30 mins of gameplay, my computer would freeze, then show the desktop screen and then when i press the game icon at the bottom of the taskbar to load up the screen game, it would be green.

After reading other users having the same problem in the Guild Wars forum, the suggestion was to close the Intel Turbo Boost Technology program.

When I did this Ive had no interuptions during gameplay. Hope this works!

January 5th, 2013 11:00

I'm still working with dell on this issue. Win8 is a lot faster than Win7. Really the only difference is the new start menu. other than that, it's still win 7 just with a new ui.

174 Posts

January 5th, 2013 12:00

Try RavSingh's suggestion above and turn off Turbo Boost.   This does affect the CPU speed if the CPU demand drops during game play, turbo boost will drop the CPU speed which can cause game to stop or other problems.   Be sure the laptop power setting is for high performance also.

January 5th, 2013 15:00

I don't have installed on my system

174 Posts

January 5th, 2013 19:00

Turbo-Boost comes with the Intel i5 and i7 Processors.   You just may not have the monitor turned on.   It should be listed in Start > All  Programs

January 6th, 2013 08:00

I am running Win8. It really isn't there.

July 29th, 2013 14:00

My problem is similar but different.  First is that I don't play any games and I get the freeze during any operation: email, surfing, etc.  I get no video distortion or breaking up but just freezing with the wait circle that never goes away.  Sometimes I can do a Cntl-Alt-Del; but not always and I find myself doing a forced shutdown.  HOWEVER................and this is strange if I boot up in Safe mode I can do my email, surfing, downloading, etc. and never get into a freeze condition.  I checked the Startup programs and they are the same in Standard or Safe mode so there is nothing for me to experiment with and turn off.  I've clean out any dust and the Laptop sits on a good hard surface so there is no restrictions to the cooling.  I just reinstalled Windows and drivers but not the latest so that needs to be done yet.  This just started about a week ago and my L502 is 2.5 years old.  Comments?

July 29th, 2013 18:00

You would need to get the drivers from Nvidia. That should work.

No Events found!