Not applicable

XPS 15 l502x freezes during gameplay

Hi, ive been having this problem for a while now and it is very annoying. During gameplay my computer freezes, sometimes I can ctrl-alt-del and end the game but sometimes the computer goes completely unresponsive and i have to hold down the power button. At first i thought it might just be a problem with call of duty black ops but it has happened in some other games now too, even old games like warcraft 3. What is wrong with my laptop? Is it just drivers or is there actually something wrong with my laptop? Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

0 Kudos
303 Replies
Not applicable

Re: XPS 15 l502x freezes during gameplay

Oh and im running all the latest bios and graphics drivers.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Are you sure the game is running of the Nvidia graphics and not the integrated graphics?

Also it maybe because it is overheating, though in my experience with older laptops, when the system overheats while gaming, it just shuts off automatically.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Lol yes im sure im using the Nvidia graphics. It could be overheating but that would mean dell have produced a faulty product. You cant sell a computer with a powerful processor and graphics card if it cant even use them without killing itself. Hopefully its just drivers and they will fix it soon.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

It happens. Not intentionally, but sometimes it is an issue with the fan or with the pasting job, which I have heard Dell doesn't do a very good job with.

It happend with my Dell XPS M1530 a couple of months ago. Once I propped the system up a bit it ran cooler and games ran fine.

Just call Dell Tech Support. If you are under warranty, they will come over and replace whatever is at fault.

You can also try looking at forum.notebookcheck.com for some answers or info about drivers.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I seemed to be having the same problem too. The game just freezes and I can alt-tab to switch out to a black screen with only the taskbar visible. The speaker will just give out a buzz sound. If I turn on the air conditioning ( I live in the tropics), it hangs more often.Maybe I should report this with Dell as well. sigh.

The performance is good but the heat created is making the keyboard really hot.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I am having this problem as well. happens on call of duty black ops but most of my other games seem fine hours on end of gaming. Black ops does it every 15 minutes in.  I will try the new bios to see if that fixes it.

0 Kudos
3 Zinc

Be sure U R using latest Nvidia GeForce driver - 270.61 for laptop.   Nvidia has fixed some issues and updated progam settings in Nvidia Control Panel.  Check the Nvidia release notes for specific issues with some games for the GPU you are using.  Install A05 BIOS just released.

Tacoslammer - eating too many tacos too fast: - slammin'  'em down [+o(]  

Signature now approved by Dell  [:D]

If you can read this, thank a teacher. 
If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran
and a Border Patrol Agent for keeping our borders secure.

XPS 15 L502X, i7 6230QM, 8GB, GT525M, 640GB 7200rpm, WIN 7- 64bit, Security:  MSE, MalwareBytes free on both systems

XPS 720, Intel Q 6600quad CPU, 4GB, 750GB, 3@ 160GB, Nvidia 7900GS, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium Edition

2 Bronze

Updated bios still a no go i will try the nvidia driver now.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

So any solutions to it ?

Only thing I found out that could avoid my games from freezing, is to run them with DirectX 11. Anything that runs with Directx9 freezes up after some time.

And my computer isnt overheating and is fully updated.

0 Kudos