Highlighted
carl7276
1 Nickel

XPS 15 surround sound???

So I recently purchased a 2011 model XPS15 (has not made it to me yet, APO address), it has the JBL 2.1 waves maxxaudio. My question can this be swapped out for a 5.1 or greater card? Also why isn't it an option to build them with one? I have a 7.1 headset that I love. But I want true surround sound. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: XPS 15 surround sound???

carl7276

Welcome to the Community

I am afraid that audio on the XPS 15 is integrated on the system board, short of using an external card you will not be able to swap it out.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
carl7276
1 Nickel

Do you know of any that are good? The issue is my 7.1 headset has a USB. I've looked around and all the ones I find do not have a USB out. Only headphone jacks. Plus they say they are for stereo headsets

0 Kudos

I simply suggest waiting until you get the system and try out your USB headset with the system, I think that you will be impressed.  If you do have audio problems after getting the system please report back here.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
carl7276
1 Nickel

Will it support 7.1? Or just send a stereo signal to my headset? From what I have read it won't. I don't doubt the quality it has for stereo. It's the surround sound I need

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hello. If it is the XPS L501x or XPS L502x, it has a 5.1 surround integrated audio system. It has 2 headphone/line out jack sockets on the right side. One is a normal one and the other is a combination regular and s/pdif port. Both of these and the mic jack are configurable jacks, and you can configure them from their normal functions to be the 3 outputs jacks for a 5.1 speaker system.

Plus with the s/pdif port you can connect to a surround decoder if you have that kind of setup.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question. Re-reading it I see that perhaps you are asking why it doesn't have 6 speakers in the case.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

If it connects by USB it won't use the onboard sound system at all - it must have its own audio processor onboard.  Basically, you have a 7.1 external sound card built into the headset -- what's onboard the system makes no difference.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Sorry I didn't see the reply from Terry before posting -- I was researching the XPS L521 model to see if it also has 5.1 but apparently not.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
carl7276
1 Nickel

No I was referring to exactly what you said thank you. Only thing now is to find out my specific model since when I purchased it it simply said 2011 model xps 15 and when I look at purchase order it only said xps 15. Thank you

0 Kudos
carl7276
1 Nickel

See I have a razer brand headset that does have a controller. However their site says it must have a 5.1 or greater source for true surround sound. Otherwise you are digitally making the stereo sound like surround sound. But it's not true surround sound

0 Kudos