Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2012 03:00

XPS 15Z(L511z) sleep-mode problem after Windows 8 upgrade

Hi guys, I've a problem. I've a XPS 15Z(L511z) upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit about 1 month ago. In that time I also updated the BIOS version from A06 to A12(I've also updated all the others available driver). The problem I'm experiencing is the sleep mode(stand-by). When I close the lid or send the pc in sleep mode from the desktop, I observe the following events: the screen turns off(it goes black until I move the mouse or touch the trackpad); I hear the noise of the hard disk equal to what it does during the mere initiation(I'm not a technical but I think it is the HDD head); sometimes the screen lights up without moving the mouse or touchpad(all this in less than 2 seconds after I send the pc in sleep mode). All that I've described happens at fairly regular intervals: 3/4 times the sleep mode is regular and then, for once, happens the issue; and so on. Where is the problem? Thanks in advance!

48 Posts

January 18th, 2015 01:00

Has been a long time, but, finally I solved the problem!

I replaced the original WD 7200rpm HDD with a Samsung SSD. Simply.

48 Posts

November 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi Sujatha K, in fact I did not follow this order when I upgraded to Win8. To follow your directives I have to uninstall all drivers first. In this case what should I do with the driver BIOS? I can not uninstall it and I can not reinstall the A06 version!

• 

3.3K Posts

November 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi Josh11,

To resolve this issue,  I suggest that you update drivers in the order given below:

BIOS: http://dell.to/ZrIzYT

Chipset:  http://dell.to/TIqilu

Video:  http://dell.to/Olefg0  

(Click on this link and click on ‘Video’ and install the latest Intel Graphics video card driver. Restart the system and select the type of NVidia GeForce GT 525M card the system has and install it.   

While flashing BIOS, do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop and please have the Ac adapter connected to the system as this needs uninterrupted power supply.
Restart the system after each driver update.

Please revert for any further queries.

48 Posts

November 29th, 2012 12:00

Hey Sujatha K, I uninstalled all drivers and then I reinstalled according to your order. Is too early to know if it worked. I've another question. After the procedure, Windows Update show me these two updates: 1) NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA  GeForce GT 525M (226 MB)    2) Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (57 MB). I have to install these?

• 

3.3K Posts

November 30th, 2012 04:00

Hi Josh11,

I request you not to do any updates for the video cards from the windows update. Since you have installed the drivers from the support website, the system has up to date drivers.  Please ignore the update or if possible disable the Windows update for video cards.

When need arises please down load the drivers only from the support website.

BIOS is a boot firmware and can only be updated to the latest version and can never be uninstalled. 

48 Posts

November 30th, 2012 04:00

I did everything you told me to do. This morning I realized that Windows Update upgraded the video card driver silently and automatically(without my permission). I'm talking about this update: www.nvidia.it/.../notebook-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver-it.html What can I do? However for the moment I have no problem with the sleep-mode.

48 Posts

November 30th, 2012 12:00

UPDATE: with enormous regret, I must inform you that the problem occurred again! I do not know what to do anymore!

48 Posts

November 30th, 2012 14:00

Ok Sujatha K, I decided to make another attempt. I sincerely hope that you will help me. Now I want to do things right!

I completely cleaned my pc of all drivers: Chipset, Network, Video.

These are the drivers that I see in Driver and Download page on Dell website for my XPS 15Z (I omit drivers who have not generated the problem: Application, Audio, System Utility):

BIOS A12 Version(it is installed on my pc)

Chipset:   1.  Dell Intel Management Engine Interface, Version 7.1.21.1134, A01 

2.  Dell Intel Huron River (HM67) driver, Version 9.3.0.1021, A00 

Network:  3.  Dell Intel PROSet/Wireless BT Software, Version 2.5.21.40054, A00 

4.  Dell Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230, Version 15.2.0.19, A02 

Video:       5.  Dell nVidia Stereoscopic 3D driver, Version A01

6.  Dell Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver, Version 9.17.10.2828, A00 

Note: I do not know how to uninstall Dell Intel Huron River (HM67) driver. This does not appear in the Control Panel. In addition, in the installation path(C:\dell\drivers\0D9RJ), there is no uninstall utility!

Please Sujatha K, tell me how to uninstall the Dell Intel Huron River (HM67) driver first, and then the exact order to follow to install the 6 drivers(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). I'm sorry for the trouble I caused to you. Please help me!

48 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 01:00

Update: This morning, with the drivers number 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 removed, the problem occurred again.

PS  I'm writing from another pc  :)

• 

3.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

Hi Josh11

I request you to manually put the system in sleep mode and check. Please reply with the status.

48 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

Sorry, I don't understand. Can you explain better?

48 Posts

December 4th, 2012 09:00

Hi Sujatha K, today I formatted the PC and installed the drivers following this order: en.community.dell.com/.../19426589.aspx Whether the problem will recur, I'll let you know. However, it was not possible to install this: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/it/it/itdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15z?driverId=TKH3F&osCode=W864&fileId=3080914313 Why?

• 

3.3K Posts

December 4th, 2012 10:00

Hi Josh11.

This driver helps in reading the SD cards. I would like to know if you are getting any error message while installing this driver.

To put the system in the sleep mode manually, please select the option ‘Sleep’ as shown in the picture below.  

48 Posts

December 4th, 2012 10:00

Device can not be found(is not available) - Installation failed!

48 Posts

December 4th, 2012 11:00

In addition, I wanted to ask you if I have to install this driver that Control Panel shows me: Qualcomm Atheros - LAN - Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30). You advise me to install My Dell Support Center? If yes, what is the link for Win8 64-bit?

No Events found!