Josh111
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 15Z(L511z) sleep-mode problem after Windows 8 upgrade

Jump to solution

Sorry, I don't understand. Can you explain better?

0 Kudos
Josh111
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Sujatha K, today I formatted the PC and installed the drivers following this order: en.community.dell.com/.../19426589.aspx Whether the problem will recur, I'll let you know. However, it was not possible to install this: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/it/it/itdhs1/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15z?driverId=TKH3F&osCode=W864&fileId=3080914313 Why?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Josh11.

This driver helps in reading the SD cards. I would like to know if you are getting any error message while installing this driver.

To put the system in the sleep mode manually, please select the option ‘Sleep’ as shown in the picture below.  

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
Josh111
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Device can not be found(is not available) - Installation failed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Josh111
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

In addition, I wanted to ask you if I have to install this driver that Control Panel shows me: Qualcomm Atheros - LAN - Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30). You advise me to install My Dell Support Center? If yes, what is the link for Win8 64-bit?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Josh11,

You will be unable to uninstall the chipset driver, you can only download and run it. You don’t have to install NVidia Stereoscopic 3D driver as this is included in the Video driver. In case you have not updated the NVidia driver, click on the link below to update it:

Video:  http://dell.to/Olefg0  

I request you to change the settings for Windows update. Check the options ‘Notify me’ for windows update and disable automatic update. Whenever there is Windows update for NVidia and Intel updates right click and disable it and update drivers from the support website if it is required.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
jok3ras
1 Copper

RE: XPS 15Z(L511z) sleep-mode problem after Windows 8 upgrade

Jump to solution

this problem only occures when you put the laptop on sleep mode and it's not plugged in.

when the laptop sleeps in battery mode too long, it wakes up automatically and put by itself on hibernate.

after this procedury of waking up automatically you will face the sleep mode problem described by you, but only one time. 

0 Kudos
Josh111
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Oh no JOK3RAS, the problem occurs(sometimes) also when plugged in. After much research I realized that the problem is related to the drivers. Even if the drivers updated for Win8 are present on Dell site, these are not really ready yet and perhaps it may never be ready(latest date back to 2012). 

Win8 had ​​changes for the sleep-mode(S3-S4 levels) compared to windows 7.

Regarding to your suggestion, this is a regular procedure and works well also for me  Smiley Happy

My problem is that the laptop immediately wakes from sleep(sometimes) at the same time I close the lid. Many others have this problem also with different machines.

0 Kudos
jok3ras
1 Copper

Jump to solution

and you figured how to solve it somehow?

after some time i understood when it occures. if i let the laptop on sleep in battery mode, some kind of counter starts. after 1 or 2 hours it wakes up by itself and hibernate to save power. this process causes the sleep mode problem we experience, but only the first time after this process is repetead.

my solution is to put  the laptop always in hibernate or to shutdown it instead of sleep mode.

if you have a software solution please share it

0 Kudos
Josh111
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I think only software engineers can solve this problem creating new BIOS and chipset drivers 

For the moment, I whenever check if the laptop go to sleep regularly(looking the intermittent white led). If this doesn't happen, I open again the lid and immediately close it.  A very annoying process, I know!

If in the future I will get a solution, I will share it with all 

I want to give you just a suggestion: don't waste your time with the advices you found around the web(change the settings of the power saving, format the system and reinstall all the drivers, uninstall certain softwares, ecc...). I have tried them all and I'm still here!

0 Kudos