James2k
3 Argentium

Re: XPS 15z Audio Crackling/Stuttering (Wireless Connection Latency Issue)

iAMjason thanks for posting your communication with Terry-B. I'm glad that engineering are looking into this, with all due respect to engineering however, saying this is a Windows 7 problem is slightly insulting.

If it was a general Windows 7 problem then the latency would also be spiking with the Ethernet NIC as well, but it doesn't.

Of course I accept that there are many factors in problems like this but I strongly believe Dell have to accept the Centrino 6230 N has problems in the XPS 15z. Like you mentioned in your message, many of us will testify to it.

Its nice to see something official from Dell however on this issue, it would be nice to be able to communicate with engineering about it but if Terry B can liaise with them and keep us updated, I'd be satisfied knowing that Dell are actively investigating the issue.

0 Kudos
James2k
3 Argentium

@BRAHMOS-IN

No driver will fix this issue, trust me we've tried them all. Save yourself the frustration and keep watching this thread for updates.

0 Kudos
BRAHMOS-IN
1 Copper

Yes James I know but why these dell support guys still updating the driver and blaming the fault in our router. You know I replaced my router once it's headache for me, at-least they give us the  correct and genuine answer. have a look

www.smallnetbuilder.com/.../31619-crappy-wireless-performance-it-could-be-your-laptop

0 Kudos
James2k
3 Argentium

Its definitely a issue with the centrino card itself in the xps 15z and not any router issue. I have several wireless devices in my home and all have great performance including my xps 15z, its just its latency spikes become a problem under moderate/heavy network traffic. Sadly Dell phone support won't be able to help you much as they will just ask you to try generic fixes like reinstall the driver or adjust settings on your router. Ultimately it is up to engineering to fix this problem.
0 Kudos

Guys, thanks a lot and even I have this issue and the only difference I have XPS 15 and not 15z and the problem started after few months of purchasing the laptop. (I bought it roughly January 2011). But one quick question, was the problem solved when you connect to Internet wired and disable your wireless adapter? Sorry to post here perhaps if you thought I was wrong to do so. But an answer would be highly appreciable. Cheers, Shiva

0 Kudos
BRAHMOS-IN
1 Copper

@James Hi, Today dell send me 6200 instead of 6230 and unfortunately this card carries his genetic issue. I think whole 6000 series have this issue or may be Dell bad design. I hope you read that crappy design article  which I posted earlier. 

0 Kudos
James2k
3 Argentium

I've just updated the original thread with video evidence of the problem. I thought it would be easier to see this problem from just a few screenshots.

@shiva.sadhashivan.

Sorry to hear your XPS 15 has this problem.

Yes the problem is solved if I use the wired adapter. If you completely disable the wireless adapter via Fn + F2 (Keyboard shortcut on XPS 15z) or via Device manager you will find you will not get any audio glitches. I performed the same latency test above with just the wired adapter and found the latency to be much better and did not see any red spikes.

Just a general note that's not directed at you but for general information. Some threads suggest disabling the WIRED adapter to solve audio problems. I'll repeat it again this is not the same problem and disabling the wired adapter will do NOTHING in this scenario.

0 Kudos
James2k
3 Argentium

@BRAHMOS-IN

Hi thanks for posting your findings. That's another variant of the Centrino card that is affected we can add to the list.

I spent some time reading that article you posted earlier this afternoon, it was a great find thanks for posting it. It is certainly a possibility that the design of the XPS 15z could be a issue, but again I want to be careful here and not speculate too much without knowing all the facts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
iAMjason
1 Copper

@James2k

A few months ago, I had an XPS 15 which I later traded for my XPS 15z (the one I'm using now).  The XPS 15 had the same Centrino 6230 card as my XPS 15z and never had the crackling audio problem on a Wireless-G network.  However, I never had the chance to test it on a Wireless-N network to see if greater bandwidth was causing the crackling audio. 

Also, do you think that this is really a hardware design problem?  I think that this problem varies based on the computer.  To measure latency, I did a step-by-step test on my 15z and a friend's 15z (that had similar specs).  I found that my computer had about 8-12 thousand nanoseconds of latency, whereas my friend's computer had only 4,000 seconds. 

0 Kudos
James2k
3 Argentium

@iAMjason

I have noticed a few XPS 15 users have reported similar audio problems to the XPS 15z but Its unclear if its the same issue. Right now it seems this specific latency issue is confined to the XPS 15z. I know many laptops and even desktops will experience latency issues, but I have never seen latency spikes of this magnitude on any other machine.

From what I've read and using general knowledge. It is likely the latency problem will not occur as much/the effects won't be as bad due to throughput being far less on Wireless G compared to Wireless N. Though Wireless N is not to blame. Modern machinse such as the XPS 15z should be able to handle increased throughput no problem.

I would like to think that the general design of Dell XPS 15z is not the cause but you have to consider every angle with a problem like this as there are many factors. Thanks for testing the latency with another XPS 15z, the fact that the latency varies is probably to expected as a number of factors including, Wireless speed, amount of network traffic etc will produce different results, but it is interesting to find your friends XPS 15z had a lower nanoseconds of latency.

When I have more time I plan to test the latency on the XPS 15z further. My main two tests I want to run is running the latency test when the XPS 15z is running on default startup/services to see if I can pin point any specific program/service causing spikes. Another test that I want to carry it out is the latency on Wireless G vs Wireless N. I have been on Wireless N for a year or so now but do have some spare routers lying around which are Wireless G spec and I could setup a separate subnet on my network for this test.

When I get more time I'll carry out these tests and report back.

0 Kudos