ShonkyCH
2 Iron

RE: XPS 15z Audio Crackling/Stuttering with network traffic over wireless (Latency Issue)

Well you can't have installed them properly. You won't get different ones installed to what you installed if done properly.

If you keep disabling devices I'm quite sure you'll find the one. 

For reference, I'm using 15.9.2.1 but I haven't really bothered with this for a while. I don't get the big blocks of red in the DPC latency tool, but at the moment my Wifi access point has been downgraded so I don't get anywhere the speed I used to with my RT-N56U (which died).

0 Kudos
ShonkyCH
2 Iron

RE: XPS 15z Audio Crackling/Stuttering with network traffic over wireless (Latency Issue)

I have to take back what I said there. From the release notes:

Note
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200*
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 for Desktop
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230*
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 100*
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000*
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030*
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 105
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 130*
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 135
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200 for Desktop
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230
Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

* = Non-logo HW (15.11 Drivers + Windows 8 apps)

So it seems if you have hardware that is "OEM only" you get older drivers? Wait, what?

0 Kudos
human1111
2 Iron

I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless driver. I'm now sure I've installed it properly.

Regarding the DPC, I disabled every disable-able device and restarted when required. Still, the bar never went green.

Could this be hardware deficiency?

0 Kudos
mattu1
1 Copper

I'm experiencing this problem with a new XPS DE running Ubuntu, so this issue is not limited to Windows users only.

0 Kudos
malcolmkw
1 Copper

Just started having this issue on my xps 15z. Thanks for posting all the helpful info! Does anyone know where I can find the Atheros drivers? It seems the link posted above has gone bad.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Just started having this issue on my xps 15z

Hello. Your recent issue might be caused by a bad update last week that Dell released for Dell Support Assist and Dell Support Agent that creates a buzzing noise. Check in the list of programs in Control Panel>Programs & Features and if there uninstall those 2 items.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
malcolmkw
1 Copper

Yep, that did it!! Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
mmullins7
1 Copper

I badly need to find those non oem drivers for troubleshooting purposes. I'm giving away an older L511z and am running into this issue, especially when running off battery power. Qualcomm reorganized its website and no longer appears to maintain a driver repository.

Also, unlike malcomkw, this computer is configured by hand. I no longer have access to the factory image, so all drivers are the latest OEM from www.dell.com/.../drivers

0 Kudos
mmullins7
1 Copper

I'd like to add a postscript.

I tested the system running on battery and on AC. On battery, slowdowns and crackle appear with streaming sound reliably. Common CD playback is fine. On AC crackle only occasionally appears during streaming. CD playback is, again, fine.

From the OP, this appears to indicate the DPC description fairly accurately and with repeatable symptoms. Does that look about right?

Again, Qualcomm has taken its drivers offline and I need to find a new source that won't bundle malware.

There is an unofficial Atheros driver page at www dot atheros dot cz (I don't want to provide a hyperlink in case it's bad). Is this legitimate enough? I've found no other site that looks reasonably trustworthy.

0 Kudos