Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2012 21:00

XPS 15z Fan Problem

Dear Dell,

I have a XPS 15Z. The fan is constantly on even though i'm not doing anything. I turn on my laptop on "Balanced Power Plan" on default settings and just let it sit there but the fan is constantly on and this drains my battery life which is not ideal for me. It also really annoying as it is loud. Are there any solutions? 

Your Regards,
Alan Lee 

May 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi  Alan,

Welcome to the Community.

Laptops fan will always run,it might be running than the normal days,probably is because fan is getting dirty.

Use a compressed air blow the dust out where the fan is.

Also it depends on the room temperature the fan will run faster as to keep the CPU temp down .

Is anything blocking the cooling vents?

If you have got things piled up on the edges that prevent circulation ,the fan will run faster.

For example placing it on the top of the blanket or anything which will prevent the fan to run cool.

Above all, You can update the BIOS from the link given below -

http://dell.to/IPX0jB

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

7 Posts

May 11th, 2012 20:00

When i mean its constantly on, i mean it's on full blast. I have dissembled my xps 15z a week ago and cleaned the fan, there wasn't much dust inside. I have my air con on 24 7 when i use my laptop around 22 degrees. No, there is nothing blocking vents as it is just sitting on my table. For the XPS 15z the vent is at the bottom of the laptop located in the middle not on the sides. My bios is the latest version A10. Is there something wrong with the motherboard? or the fan? or is it supposed to be like this?

Your regards,

Alan Lee

278 Posts

May 12th, 2012 02:00

No the fan is not meant to be on full blast constantly. It is meant to be quiet when on idle or minimal use and fan will speed up and kick in as more demanding processes are running. Couple of things to try/report.

1) Does the fan run constantly immediately from POST (Power on self test) or after starting Windows?

2) Is the fan constantly on fast on battery/AC Adapter?

3) When logging into Windows are their any tasks that are consuming a lot of CPU? You can check this by going to Task Manager taskmgr in Start > Run.

Have you tried running Dell Diagnostics? (F12 from BIOS Screen) to see if it reports any hardware failure.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2012 03:00

We were told that updating the BIOS to the latest version corrects the fan problem.

Rick

7 Posts

May 12th, 2012 04:00

I have completely re-formated my laptop and now it is fine. Thank you to all :)

i updated to the latest drivers etc.

278 Posts

May 12th, 2012 04:00

A10 is the latest BIOS

4 Posts

May 16th, 2012 20:00

What exactly did you do to fix the fan problem? Flashing the A10 bios doesn't seem to be it.

4 Posts

May 16th, 2012 20:00

I have the same problem with the 15Z.  I already had the A10 BIOS, but the date on the file for download was about a month more recent. So, last night I downloaded the A10 BIOS and installed it.  My Fan continues to run even with almost nothing running on the system.  I have the CPU Gadget running which shows me the RAM and CORE levels for each processor... they are all under 20%, and mostly around 6%.

PudgyOne claims that this is fixed in the A10, but it doesn't appear to be.  So I'm very curious to learn exactly what Alan_Lee did to fix it.

4 Posts

May 17th, 2012 20:00

Reformatted what? The C: drive?  

Can you list the drivers and versions you installed?

7 Posts

May 17th, 2012 20:00

I just completely re-formatted it and installed all the latest drivers, that's all.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2012 00:00

Its all on the dell driver list. :P

No Events found!