Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2012 08:00

XPS 15z (L511Z) Laptop battery not charging

Hello all! I have an XPS 15z AKA the L511Z.

The laptop will not charge the battery anymore.  Here is a list of relevant facts:

• When it is plugged in the battery level does not go down at all
  • When the battery is removed, the AC adapter will run the laptop.
  • In the BIOS the "AC Adapter Type" says "None". 
  • In windows the current battery says  "2829 hr 44 min (65%) remaining"
  • The current BIOS is A10 and I would like to update to A12 but it requires that both battery and AC adapter be connected.
  • I have ubuntu on dual boot (if this helps).
  • This problem first occurred after a windows update, but using restore point did not help.
  • The laptop is refurbished and out of the 1 year warranty.  After having some trouble with audio during the warranty period, the motherboard was replaced and 3 months later this problem has arisen.

Any ideas on how to fix the problem?  I would really like to flash to the newest A12 bios but have been unsuccessful so far after trying the following:

• Starting Command Prompt as administrator and running the bios install with the /forceit command > still requires that charger+battery be recognized as attached.
  • Running bios install from boot USB stick > "program cannot be run from DOS"
  • Remove "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" driver within device manager > no effect

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 22nd, 2012 08:00

Try a new Dell OEM AC adapter.  If that doesn't solve the problem, your system needs an internal repair - either a replacement power jack or a replacement mainboard.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2012 22:00

I tried a new power jack with no success.  I guess I need a new mainboard.  

Is there any reason why immediately after a windows 7 startup it shows the icon indicating a charger attached for about 1 second before switching to a battery icon?

How about the fact that the computer will run with just the power cord and no battery?

Is there any way to flash the BIOS with the computer not recognizing that the charger is connected?

3.1K Posts

August 7th, 2013 15:00

Hi Gerihc90,

Please share the exact system model.

What is the message that you get when you hover the mouse on the battery icon on the task-bar (plugged in,charging / plugged in, not charging)?

Also check if the charging port on the laptop is loose.

*Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / None / 65W / 90W / 130W'.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected / None' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

Also, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

Please reply if you have any questions.

3 Posts

Hello Appu Sthe battery message says the 2660 hours and 20 mins left 70%

-the status of the ac adapter in BIOS: none, I already reset BIOS to default and try another ac adapter

- the dell health meter says than the battery is health

3 Posts

Hello man, I just had the same problem 2 days ago now my laptop is no charging and I already try with 2 other ac adapters too, did you fix your laptop? 

4 Posts

August 8th, 2013 01:00

I do not have good news for you unfortunately.  I worked on this problem for about a week, trying every possible solution.  Eventually I just ended up buying a refurbed motherboard on Ebay.  

The unfortunate thing is that I had a simple, and less serious, problem with this laptop about 3 months earlier, and they came out and decided to replace the motherboard as it was still under warranty.  So this battery charging problem came from a replaced motherboard and ended up being a worse problem than what they "fixed" before.  Dell would not fix the new problem because it was then past the 60 or so days they guarantee a replaced part for.

3.1K Posts

August 8th, 2013 17:00

Hi Gerihc90,

This might be an issue with the motherboard or the DC-in port. Some system has separate DC-in port. Please share the exact system model so that I can check the system specifications and let you know which part would require replacement.

Awaiting your response.

3 Posts

Hello Appu S the model of my laptop is XPS L511z, where can I get a new motherboard ?

regards

3.1K Posts

Hi Gerihc90,

Thank you for the response. This system has a separate DC-in jack. The first suggested part replacement would be the DC-in jack. If the issue persists, the you may consider replacing the motherboard.

if your system is under warranty, then you may provide the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the further course of action.

If the warranty has expired, then let me know the country you are located. I will share the contact details.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2013 00:00

Hii,

I have the same model of Dell laptop and the system cannot recognize my battery. When turn on the laptop on black screen appears a message that battery charging is less then 3%. In BIOS it says Non Dell Battery, but I didn't change it. 

Battery Health is showing: The system cannot communicate with the battery.

77 Posts

October 15th, 2013 04:00

Hi abdushka,

If you are comfortable with replacing Battery of the system, replace the battery of the system with a known good Battery.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-15z_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

The above link will assist you to remove/install Battery on the system.

If the system works fine with alternate known good battery, the issue will be with Battery of the system else the issue will be with system board.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further question.

3 Posts

October 15th, 2013 22:00

Hii, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Is it ok if I buy battery in Ebay or Amazon?

I look for it in Dell web site but didn't find any.

77 Posts

October 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi abdushka,

The availability of parts and service varies from region to region. Please let me know the country you are residing in.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2013 23:00

Region is Central Asia, country - Tajikistan.

4 Posts

October 17th, 2013 04:00

Hello,

As you can see I had this problem as well.  I just wanted to let you know that I tried replacing the following:

1. battery (no change)
  2. DC-in jack (no change)
  3. power cables (no change)

I finally ended up buying a refurbished motherboard on ebay, and that fixed the problem.  This generally seems to be the issue with the laptop, something wrong with faulty motherboards.  So I would suggest you consider that before spending $100+ on buying a new battery and DC-in jack.  The replacement motherboards on ebay are not too much more expensive than that, and might contain a processor upgrade over what you are currently using.  I am currently stuck with an extra battery and jack that I cannot return, but I did get an upgrade from an i5 to an i7 when I replaced my own motherboard.

Good luck!

No Events found!