Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2011 23:00

XPS 15z Linux installation

Hi,

I'm trying to dual-boot my machine with Windows 7 and a Linux distribution. Unfortunately, none of the distros seem to work. I tried using wubi to install Ubuntu alongside Windows, as well as mounting and running Ubuntu and Fedora from a USB stick, but they all hit the same problem: after I try to boot the OS, the screen turns off. I don't know what's up. Any help?

Cheers.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 09:00

I got it to work with the long term support version, that's ubuntu 10.04.X. it's available from the ubuntu.com downloads page. Works with Wubi or as CD.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 08:00

Go to a bookstore or computer store and get a Knoppix 6.4 Live Dvd.

What happens when you try booting that?

KNOPPIX at CeBIT 2011

Just in time for CeBIT 2011 (1.-5.3.2011 in Hannover), KNOPPIX version 6.5 has been released exclusively in the next Linux Magazine. Apart from the usual updates, there are some add-ons in this special edition: webbrowser Chromium, PDF Reader Acrobat (TM) and the accelerated drivers for NVidia (TM) graphics adapters.

A talk about the new version 6.5 of KNOPPIX will take place daily at different times at the Open Source Forum in Hall 2, and on thursday, 3.3.2011 at 14:45, Klaus Knopper peeks into the next 100 years. All talks and workshops...

Interested users may have a look into new KNOPPIX and its blind-friendly derivate ADRIANE at infopoint C39-30 in hall 9. USB flashdisks brought by the visitor can be installed for free with KNOPPIX directly at the booth. More about this...

KNOPPIX 6.4 public release

The anniversary edition of KNOPPIX is now avaible as DVD and CD image, including the blind-friendly ADRIANE version. More about the new release on the KNOPPIX website and in the Release Notes.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 09:00

I have also tried Fedora 15 and Ubuntu 11.04 and it will not install, maybe a possible problem with the BIOS?  I have checked and I have A02 installed.  If someone gets it to install let me know, I have tried both the ubuntu forum and fedora forum and havent gotten a working solution.

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 12:00

Did you use the 32bit version or the 64?

June 5th, 2011 10:00

When you say you got it to "work" what do you mean?  It finally booted?  I have now tried 10.04 and 10.04.2 and after installing, zero network cards are recognized, the resolution of the screen is reduced, and the trackpad does not work.  Was your experience different?  

I have also tried 11.04 and 11.10 alpha 1.  In these cases, the screen resolution and wireless cards are recognized but the trackpad still doesn't work (oh, but if you bother to run a system update after the installation, the machine becomes unbootable with a blank screen mid-boot).  This has been a frustrating and disappointing experience for me.

14 Posts

June 5th, 2011 11:00

I also have tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 and failed just a purple 11.04 screen that never finishes I was able to get 10.04 to install but had to do extra work to get the wireless to function (compat wireless and kernel upgrade). The screen is at a lower resolution and teh trackpad does not function. I have tried the bumblebee via launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux this has failed as well can not use the nvidia card only the intel and not well. anyone that gets this to work please let the rest of us know how.

Thanks

June 5th, 2011 13:00

@mmcintosh : FWIW, I was able to get 11.04 to install by 1) enabling the acpi=off option at the livecd boot menu and 2) Selecting "Install Ubuntu" instead of "Try Ubuntu".  This skips the live session and goes straight to install, which actually goes off without a hitch once you get it going.  At the conclusion of the install, the graphics are full resolution and the wireless card is recognized without additional work, but the trackpad is not recognized.  After install I tried to 1) to allow update manager to upgrade all available packgages and 2) on a second clean install, I tried just to install the proprietary nvidia drivers only and ignored all other available updates. In both cases, after doing these upgrades and on the first reboot, the boot process hangs midway through and I can't get any tty to show any error messages.

14 Posts

June 5th, 2011 16:00

@SHOULDHAVEBOUGHTAMACBOOKPRO: Love the nic and am considering returning this thing now as I need to for work and I use Ubuntu as my daily work horse. I still can not get Ubuntu 11.04 to install only 10.04 which means even more work. Can you tell me your set up (mine is listed below). Even using the acpi=off I end up with a black screen that never allows me to attempt the installation past the first screen. I just saw that some one was able get this to work on a  NVIDIA Optimus (Dell L702X) see below. Hope it helps I have not even started with the touchpad. I guess to new could be applied to this situation. I would really love to make this work

Mark

Mine:

Dell XPS 15z i7 2gb Nvidia 525M

I think the 15 series are somewhat similar but, I believe in terms of
the monitor identification it uses CRT-0 instead pf DFP-0 like the
L702X, if I recall correctly, which makes me think something else
might be a little different on the ACPI end, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully, someone with a 15 series machine can confirm or deny this for us.

James

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Albert Vilella <ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>wrote:
> Awesome! Is this working on L502X and L501X models?
>
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM, James wrote:
>> For my L702X with an NVIDIA 550M, I used the ACPI methods from Jos
>> Hickson's dellL702X.sh script.
>>
>> Methods:
>>    Turn on NVIDIA: \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS0
>>    Turn off NVIDIA: \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3
>>
>> The dellL702X.sh script:
>> https://lists.launchpad.net/hybrid-graphics-linux/msg00663.html
>>
>> James
>>

June 6th, 2011 20:00

Yeah, I have the same setup at you describe.

What's frustrating is that while I can get the 11.04 installation to start and finish successfully everytime, upon first boot from the hard disk, sometimes it hangs.  What's worse, in the cases where I can get the machine to boot sucessfully, after the first reboot (without updating any drivers/packages) the system hangs with a blank screen at all subsequent boot attempts.

I haven't tried the Optimus stuff yet, but there are a few threads over on ubuntuforums about getting Optimus to work. 

14 Posts

June 6th, 2011 21:00

I I have finally been able to get some other items to work no the video yet but still more and I am testing the optimus stuff but now luck with bumblebee yet. I used noirq instead of acpi=off this allowed the system to recognize that I had 4 cores instead of just one so is running much faster now. I have finally installed 11.04 and have wireless and the intel video working at the right levels meaning resolution and speeds. I have posted with the bumblebee group and am hoping with some assistance I will be able to get that going soon. good luck it is forward movement

cheers

8 Posts

June 8th, 2011 00:00

Please send the command line you use for kernel parameters,  I try on my new XPS 15Z with 10.10, 11.4, 11.10 still no luck yet, 

June 8th, 2011 05:00

@mmcintosh : I request the same as louaysakka.  I can't make 11.04 install to a stable state.  By stable state, I mean one that does not become unbootable (blank screen no TTY/keyboard response) after the first reboot.  Are you using other switches besides acpi=noirq ?  Thanks.  FYI, I started a thread over at ubuntuforums to try and get momentum going over there.

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php

14 Posts

June 8th, 2011 09:00

Louaysakk,

First off I used an alternate installation disk that I downloaded from here:

http://mirror01.th.ifl.net/releases//11.04/ubuntu-11.04-alternate-amd64.iso

Secondly I played about with apic setting on boot and found so far that while I could load ubuntu with apic=off what worked better was acpi=noirq I hope this helps please let me know.

Mark

14 Posts

June 8th, 2011 22:00

Has anyone gotten the bumblebee hybrid to work yet ??? I would love to be able to use the nvidia card in linux. ???

http://www.martin-juhl.dk/

github.com/.../bumblebee

launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux

Mark

211 Posts

June 8th, 2011 23:00

@Mmcintosh....I've installed it, but could not get it working properly.  

No Events found!