Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2011 13:00

XPS 15z audio/video stutter

Am experiencing issues with audio and video stutter, when playing audio, video, and games also. The audio and video stutter occurs simultaneously for about a half second, at random intervals - anywhere from minutes between stutters to up to an hour sometimes

Have a feeling that as it's both audio and video that it's not related to their repsective drivers etc, it seems like there's something else on the laptop that's refreshing or accessing something that causes a stutter. Event viewer doesn't seem to have much relating to the times that these stutters occur, so i think windows isn't logging these sutters as errors.

Some have suggested disabling the ethernet drivers in other posts about other audio issues but that doesn't seem to have helped. It's a new system so i may try a full clean reinstall, but obviously that's not ideal.

Any suggestions? Cheers!

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2011 14:00

Additional:

Have used a DPC Latency checker, it shows a spike in latency of 16000µs relating to a driver, although it doesn't specify which one specifically.

Next step would be to disable devices one by one until the issue dissapears, but is anyone familiar with this in case they can save me the time?

Cheers

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2011 18:00

Further additional:

Windows performance analysis shows ndis.sys and acpi.sys as the culprits, running latency of 11ms a piece. These two look to be essential windows processes so am a tad stuck... acpi suggests some sort of power management issue, but i've gone through everything i can think of and put settings at full (standard power management, wifi, GPU...), and disabled bluetooth and webcam, still no dice.

screenshot of latency results:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/mrslidey/Untitled.png

Anyone?

4 Posts

October 6th, 2011 15:00

I have the same problem.

Uninstalling Dell Support Center seems to make the stutters come less often.

Sorry, that's all I can say.

8 Posts

October 6th, 2011 16:00

Ended up reformatting the hard drive and freshly reinstalling windows, did the trick. Not ideal, but I wasn't about to put up with latency issues on a £1.5k laptop!

3 Posts

October 7th, 2011 16:00

I have been having issues with the audio as well--popping especially when getting online. What have people found to be the best solution? Does McAfee make a difference or not? Thanks

8 Posts

October 8th, 2011 07:00

I haven't seen any evidence that McAfee is to blame, although it's worth giving anything and everything a go to see if it helps if you want to uninstall it and replace it with avg or similar

The only solution i have to give is formatting your hard drive and clean reinstall of windows. Which isn't really a solution, but there ya go.

5 Posts

December 19th, 2011 22:00

Hello, I have a Dell XPS 15 L502Z with a Nvidia GeForce 540M graphics card. 

I'm having symptoms very similar to what you're describing. Specifically Team fortress 2, oblivion, and half life 2 (all through Steam) stutter to the point of being unplayable--brief <1s where the audio loops and the video freezes. Starcraft 2 does a similar thing, mainly when rapidly flipping between building hotkeys (when macroing as terran), but not as egregiously or as reliably.

I decided I'd try to record a video of it and get some data so I downloaded FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/). When I record video using FRAPS it completely removes the stuttering problem in oblivion, halflife 2, and Team fortress 2. It does not remove the issue in starcraft 2, though.

I see a DPC idle of 1600 microseconds which drops to about 150 microseconds in-game and also when i disable the 540M card.

Here are links to my pleas for help on reddit and sevenforums.com

http://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/nj0sm/fraps_recording_eliminates_crossgame_stuttering/

http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/203544-fraps-recording-eliminates-cross-game-stuttering-issue.html#post1707499

8 Posts

December 20th, 2011 15:00

It's not an ideal solution, but a complete reformatting of the HDD worked for me. Seems to be something about the relationship of the drivers installed when the systems are built that is causing latency issues. Download all latest drivers and install them clean after a reformatting, should hopefully help.

October 10th, 2012 23:00

Uninstalling the Download Manager (akamai net session manager) fixes that problem. Go to Control Panel->Uninstall Programs-> select Akai net session manager, uninstall. And the sound is gone.

No Events found!