Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2012 16:00

XPS 15z freezes shortly after disconnecting HDMI

When I plug in an HDMI cable to my XPS 15z , it works fine but when I disconnect it the computer instantly freezes up and I have to force it to shut off.  I have installed all of the updated drivers from Dell for the 15z and all of the windows updates.  I am using Win7 64-bit.  This unit has 8GB RAM, a 1920x1080 screen, an NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M and Intel integrated HD graphics.

I have experienced this issue using several different screens and projectors.

1 Message

March 7th, 2012 22:00

I have the same or similar problem. After returning to the office on Monday morning (the week of Feb 22nd), my 15z immediately blue screened and pointed to the nvlddmkm.sys file as the problem (stop code of 121).  Consistently happened when I plugged my external monitor into the HDMI port.  Had no issue with the laptop or the external monitor functioning for at least 3 months of owning the thing.  No driver or major software updates occurred between the previous Friday (when the external monitor worked just fine) and the following Monday.  To compound problems, even without plugging in the external display, any Reboot I performed would cause my computer to freeze with a black screen after the "Starting Windows" logo (infrequently got to the logon screen).  Sometimes the mouse cursor would appear and be responsive to movement (but not right clicking).

After hours on the phone with the Dell Tech, uninstalling/reinstalling the latest Intel and NVidia display drivers, I was left with a parting recommendation to revert to the original factory image.  Judging by others' similar problems, I find it highly unlikely that will solve the problem.

VERY VERY frustrated with Dell right now.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2012 11:00

What I am doing now is whenever I am about to disconnect the HDMI cord, I press [Windows-Key] + P and select Disconnect projector.  Then when I unplug it, the system is fine.

1 Message

April 5th, 2012 15:00

I have a very similar problem with the HDMI connection on a XPS L502x, nVidia 540, i7.  When I unplug or plug in the HDMI, on occasion, the system freezes.  This happens regularly if I put the computer into a sleep state, and unplug/plug THEN resume.

It is very frustrating!  I applied the most recent BIOS update, but the problem persists.  Seems like it is a MB problem. Sheesh!

No Events found!