Highlighted
aras1
2 Iron

Re: XPS 15z trackpad problems

Jump to solution

I agree. For the price and power of the XPS 15z, we should not need to disable a useful feature. I posted my problem here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19928783.aspx

but wonder if it is related to the touchpad as is being discussed in this thread. As I have written elsewhere however, if I simply stop typing when I lose my cursor, the window I am typing in spontaneously reactivates without me touching the trackpad. I wouldn't expect that to happen if it was simply a result of me unintentionally brushing the trackpad.

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos
louiesolomon
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It's been posted on this forum that new drivers should be released tomorrow that fix many of the issues had with the Cypress trackpad.

0 Kudos
pmbAustin
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Have you tried turning the sensitivity way down in the trackpad's control panel?

0 Kudos
pmbAustin
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The software driver for this trackpad really is horrible.  I can put two fingers down to scroll, drag them across the trackpad to scroll, and lift my fingers up before the page even BEGINS to scroll.  And the scrolling is jerky... no smoothness, no "coasting".  It's pretty much unusable.

And I've always had Toshiba laptops before, and I've NEVER had this issue with random palm touches while typing causing the cursor to jump around.

Dell really needs to do something about this.  It's almost unusable.  A near-perfect laptop is being rendered extremely frustrating to use because of extremely bad drivers.

I wish Dell would address this, and issue improved, updated drivers!  If the hardware vendor cannot provide them, then they should work with Microsoft to get better ones and create or update them themselves!

0 Kudos
CinderBDT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

2.3.6.12, A04 drivers have been posted.  Personally, I'm still seeing CPU usage that I don't like when gestures are enabled, so I have gestures disabled.  But for me, the drivers have fixed the external mouse problem and I'm able to type on the keyboard reliably as long as I use an external mouse.  I hope others will try these new drivers and post experience here about this specific problem of jumping around when typing.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Have had the new drivers installed for the past two days now.  The new drivers are a huge improvement over previous versions.  The touch pad seems to be more reliable and responsive now with almost none of the random screen jumps that were occurring before.  I have not tried the disable touch pad with mouse installed option, but I have been using the laptop with an external Logitech wireless USB mouse  (brand new mouse only a few days of use on it).  The laptop seems to be working fine with both the mouse and laptop keyboard.  In fact, it would have been all but impossible to type this posting with the previous driver using the laptop keyboard.  Not a single jump yet on this post.  That said, it still might be necessary to play with the touch sensitivity level. 

Oh, and I do have the 2 finger touch enabled, but I opted to disable the three finger touch. I have not had a chance to look at CPU usage with the 2 finger enabled, but I have not noticed any performance hit with normal use of the computer. 

Finally a useable laptop! 

0 Kudos
pmbAustin
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I just installed them, and even after a few hours I can tell they suck a lot less than before.  Which isn't to say the drivers are GOOD yet.  But at least it's more usable and less frustrating.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Posting the link to the latest driver for those that need it.

0 Kudos
BadgerP
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I created a new thread to discuss a specific problem the persists in the new driver - the CPU/battery drain. en.community.dell.com/.../19404027.aspx

It also related to the laggy responsiveness of multi-tough others have mentioned. 

0 Kudos
CinderBDT
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I think this could be closed out with the newest drivers (thanks for the link DELL-Bill B) fixing the disable problem.  Remaining issues can be discussed in new threads.