Highlighted
callingdoug
1 Nickel

XPS 17 - L702X Bluetooth for Intel N6203 - finally found a driver that works correctly with Windows 10 – maybe it will help someone.

This is a post explaining my Bluetooth issues and how I resolved it.  It's a good thing.  I never found anywhere in my searches this answer but it does work.  Here's the story.

After upgrading to Windows 10 back when it first came out, I struggled with the Bluetooth reception and the ability to use Bluetooth devices (bose mini and Plantronics m55 headset).  Then in my efforts to resolve it and loading all the latest drivers, somehow I stumbled across the driver that works how it should.  This is what I mean.

When you originally connect the device, then turn it off, when you turn it back on it wouldn't reconnect AND play without removing the Bluetooth device and the re-pairing it.  Now, when I turn the device back on it automatically reconnects and works like it should.  It's a beautiful thing. 

Usually it wants to update the driver or install as original the Intel N6230 Bluetooth driver (it will say something like that in device manager, but with more words).  That is a troublesome driver.  Instead, you should use the "Intel Wireless Bluetooth Driver 3.0.130.386" - do a search, I downloaded the cab file from softpedia.  After downloading, you have to uninstall any driver currently being used through "programs and features" and/or "device manager".  Just the one that's the Bluetooth driver, not the enumerator or anything else.  After you uninstall it, in device manager click Action, Scan for Hardware Changes, it will reload the Bluetooth.  Double click whatever Bluetooth driver gets re-installed, click driver tab, update driver, DON'T let windows search for the driver, click the option that you have it, point it to where you saved the cab file, and it will automatically load the driver.  Check to make sure it now says "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)" as the Bluetooth name, double click and make sure the driver number is 3.0.130.386 - if it is, you are off and runnin.  While it's not required, I'd suggest restarting and then testing it out. 

Also, for my Plantronics M55 Bluetooth headset, I had to open "sound" and cycle through the properties to get them correct.  You'll probably need to do this as well.  After pairing and confirming it works, make sure that your speakers are set as default device first, then click on the headset (not the headphones if it looks like mine) and click the drop down for the options and select set as default communications device.  This step is necessary to make it work correctly, that way your speakers play normal sounds and music and your headset only plays communication like Skype (what I use it for). 

For me, this was a big thing.  No more hassling with removing and re-pairing devices.  I hope it helps someone else out there.

0 Kudos