Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 24th, 2011 14:00

XPS 17 (L702X) Playing 3D Blu-Ray Stutters with PowerDVD

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a laptop that I have only just purchased and would like to see if anybody else has experienced the same problem.  I've spent a few hours searching the web for answers and have found examples of other users having the same problem, but so far no answers!

The laptop is a Dell XPS 17 (L702X) with 3D capability.  Graphics card is the 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 555M G.  The problem occurs when playing a 3D Blu-Ray "Saw 3D", which I bought to test out the 3D features.  Every time the camera shot changes in the movie, the video stutters.  The Blu-Ray includes a 2D version, which plays fine.  I'm playing this using CyberLink PowereDVD 9.6 that formed part of the offering from Dell.

The problem is described on a couple of forums (please see below), and from what others say this occurs with a number of Blu-Ray movie titles.  It sounds like an issue with the version of CyberLink PowerDVD (version 9.6) that is included with the Dell build.  I have so far been unable to find any assistance from CyberLink themselves about this issue.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16780.page

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m17x/591147-i-need-help-3d-blu-ray.html

I've tried updating my graphics card drivers and have applied the latest patches to PowerDVD 9.6, but the problem remains.  I've seen a suggestion of installing a newer trial version of PowerDVD, but am unsure as I don't know whether I'd be able to revert back to my pre-installed version afterwards - Does anybody know?

• Does anybody else have this issue?
  • Do you know whether there is a definitive solution? 

I'm a bit disappointed that this reasonably new build from Dell includes software that is 2 versions out-of-date and am reluctant to spend a lot of money on a newer version just because the one supplied isn't fit for purpose.  In addition, I don't have any confidence that a newer version would be any better than the one Dell have chosen to use.

• Does anybody know what kind of support Dell provides for problems with software?
  • Is there anybody I can contact (as I can't find any contact details!)?

Overall I'm feeling a bit disappointed with the laptop now.  Although I've only had it a week I'm currently feel like asking for my money back if I can't find a solution soon!

Many thanks for your help!

Steve.

-----

For anybody who has this model or who is thinking of purchasing one, below a few Blu-Rays I've read about having this problem:

• Cars 2 3D
  • Saw 3D
  • Tangled 3D
  • Tron Legacy 3D

November 23rd, 2011 14:00

Just an update in case anyone is still also having this issue.

I got in touch with Dell technical support (by going to the following page and selecting to contact by e-mail):

support.euro.dell.com/.../contact_technical_support

I had to go into lots of detail to explain what happens and what I'd tested already.  Told them that my trial versions of other software were working ok, just not PowerDVD 9.6.  They eventually confirmed the problem with Cyberlink and asked me to download a free trial of PowerDVD 11, which was on the Cyberlink website.

This trial version worked fine and so that asked me to purchase this myself and send them the receipt.  The version I got to solve the problem is PowerDVD 11 Ultra Edition (Ultra is required for Blu-Ray and 3D content).  I did this and the problem is now resolved using the new software version.  Within about a week I had the money paid into my account by Dell.

However, this entire process has taken about 6 weeks and has involved a lot of e-mails between myself and Dell technical support.  I suggest that you try this if you are having the same problem as me (3D content stuttering between camera shots on some 3D Blu-Rays when using PowerDVD 9.6).

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Steve.

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2011 19:00

This may not be a blue ray issue at all:

I received my XPS 17 (non 3D) towards the end of July - and I have had a similar issue, whereby MP3 files and video files would stutter as they played. 

You can see this issue in real time by using a piece of software called the DPC Latency Checker, available here: 

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I spent ages discussing this with tech support, who updated all the drivers etc on my machine, with no success.

They then suggested that I reinstall windows ON A NEW MACHINE!!!!!

At forum.notebookreview.net someone suggested that this is most likely caused by a specific driver conflict, and by disabling various devices, and renabling them, using DPC latency checker, you might be able to eliminate it.

I am still experiencing this as a problem, and consider it to be poor form on Dells behalf, to send out machines with such an issue, that are not capable of playing music without stuttering.

October 4th, 2011 14:00

Hey,

Thanks for the info.  I've been carrying out a lot more testing since my first post.

With the problem I'm having, I've found that the same software (CyberLink PowerDVD 9.6) plays normal DVD and video clips fine, including sample 3D video files downloaded from the web.  Standard Blu-rays also work fine.

When I try to play some 3D Blu-rays, I still get the same issue.  I can switch to standard 2D using the Blu-ray menu and all is fine again so problem seems to be just with Blu-rays in 3D mode.

To confirm that the issue was with PowerDVD rather than the Blu-Ray disc etc., I downloaded a trial version of Arcsoft Total Media Theatre.  I found that this is one of about 4 different applications available as an alternative to PowerDVD when using 3D Blu-rays.  The Blu-ray played perfectly in 3D and so it does appear that the problem I have is with PowerDVD.

Unfortunately, all of these alternative applications are expensive (the Arcsoft one I tried is $99 to buy).  Considering I would only need to buy this because the standard Dell build is unable to play 3D Blu-rays, this is quite annoying!

Do you know what number you called for Dell tech support?  I haven't even been able to find a phone number to call yet!

1 Message

February 21st, 2012 05:00

Hi, I am still struggling with my new dell xps17. I have opened nvidia control panel from start menu -> all programs, and enabled 3d acceleration. the test images looked stunning in 3D.

But when I tried to play in powerDVD 9.6, it doesn't play 3D. the 3D option gets disabled when I play the DVD. and then I couldn't find the nvidia control panel in start menu (may be it is to be used only for once for the first time). When there is no DVD, i can see 3D button enabled but when I try to play it gets disabled. I can confirm with confidence that the DVD is blu ray 3D one.

I tried installing trial version of arcsoft total media theatre but it is also behaving the same way i.e. the 3D option gets disabled. I dont know what to do. can someone please tell me?

1 Message

March 3rd, 2012 00:00

Hello

I bought my XPS 17 about the same time you did, but I don't have a 3D monitor. My issue is static that is appearing on my TV while watching DVD/Blueray movies via a HDMI connection. The issue is that there is "snow" and audio static when I play movies on my Sony TV while connected to my XPS 17. The TV picture is fine if it displays only the the computer elements. But the static begins when I play the DVD/BR video. I know this is not the same issue you are having, but I hopped that someone reading your thread might have some insight, and/or has had their computer do the same thing.

Thanx

No Events found!