80sGuy
2 Iron

RE: XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Jump to solution

...or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121447366803?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

0 Kudos
johnlynn5
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I hope that the jacks on the Dell studio are the same.  I have had 2 Toshibas where the jacks were soldered to the mother board.  After a time, the constant tension placed on the jacks by pluging and unpluging, caused the solder joints to come loose.  Not having the jack directly soldered to the mother board is a better solution, but it sounds like Dell doesn't have it right yet.

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I hope that the jacks on the Dell studio are the same.  I have had 2 Toshibas where the jacks were soldered to the mother board.  After a time, the constant tension placed on the jacks by pluging and unpluging, caused the solder joints to come loose.  Not having the jack directly soldered to the mother board is a better solution, but it sounds like Dell doesn't have it right yet.

I believe all Dells, especially the XPS series have a non-soldered separate DC jack which plugs in to the mb. The best way to know is to search in ebay with your model number and they will show a picture of the part.

0 Kudos
dhenne23
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The XPS has a non soldered power connector...no so easy to get to, but doable.  Replaced mine and so far so good.

0 Kudos
RRicoDell
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So if this is indeed the fix, why is Dell not 1st admitting there is a major product line problem and paying for the solution rather than users needing to go through all this stress, hassle, and expense to resolve themselves??

DELL has LOST their way.  HP is on their heals, what's wrong with this company??  The old DELL would have never treated issues like this.  The years keep ticking by and they keep ignoring this issue. 

Shame on Dell and DELL as a whole.

0 Kudos
IDamian
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

4 year old XPS 17 on 3rd motherboard, 1 daughterboard, and 3rd time having it "fixed" , I have 3 days left on my warranty and it still falls out. Complained and now I am at the end of my rope. Easily falls out 10-15 times a day. Sitting on one pillow of my couch with the laptop on the next pillow makes it fall out. Holding the laptop level and typing makes it fall out. Etc etc. I wish I could offer a suggestion. I even tried taping it, which was simply a mess

0 Kudos
Highlighted
IDamian
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

4 year old XPS 17 on 3rd motherboard, 1 daughterboard, and 3rd time having it "fixed" , I have 3 days left on my warranty and it still falls out. Complained and now I am at the end of my rope. Easily falls out 10-15 times a day. Sitting on one pillow of my couch with the laptop on the next pillow makes it fall out. Holding the laptop level and typing makes it fall out. Etc etc. I wish I could offer a suggestion. I even tried taping it, which was simply a mess. Cost $2300 back then. Great machine except for this!!

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

4 year old XPS 17 on 3rd motherboard, 1 daughterboard, and 3rd time having it "fixed" , I have 3 days left on my warranty and it still falls out. Complained and now I am at the end of my rope. Easily falls out 10-15 times a day. Sitting on one pillow of my couch with the laptop on the next pillow makes it fall out. Holding the laptop level and typing makes it fall out. Etc etc. I wish I could offer a suggestion. I even tried taping it, which was simply a mess

What fall out? Your motherboard, daughterboard or the DC Jack? If you're referring to the 'Jack' problem, then there is a fix on ebay. Search for 'Dell xps 17 loose jack fix'. It is the only remedy and many seemed to be happy with the permanent fix.

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Setapart22
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

*** worked wonders for me

0 Kudos