equineaddicts
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Jump to solution

Mine still does so after 3 AC adapter replacements and one motherboard replacement.  Never had this problem with any other Dell laptop I've had, and I've had 5 - including one with the same AC adapter.

0 Kudos
petermic
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem.  The fit of the plug into the computer is loose.  In addition, the cord from the computer to the adapter is unusually thick and stiff, putting additional tension on the plug.  When I move or even slightly shift the computer I have to hold the plug into the back to prevent it from falling out.

Surprising to get this sort of simple malfunction from a mature company.  

0 Kudos
Jeln
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

All computers have a % of total produced machines being duds.  Regardless of when it was purchased, you're likely still under warranty.  How about owners doing as the Dell rep suggested,  twice,  and stop complaining?

0 Kudos
drhodesumr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I payed 1700 dollars for my laptop and the power adapter should not continuously fall out.  Dell needs to fix it, and as others stated replacing the adapter/motherboard is not a solution.  It is a design flaw.

0 Kudos
SSSzabo
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Not the first time I have heard that issue, we have had 6 Dell  Laptops, and that was always an issue, but not when they were new.

0 Kudos
equineaddicts
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

As I posted earlier, this is my 5th Dell laptop and no other ones have had this issue.  Dell has sent techs out three times now and have replaced the AC adapters, the motherboard, the daughterboard, WAN card, the DVD drive (failed after 5 months), and just the other day the little plug the AC adapter plugs into and bottom plastics.  An hour after the tech left, the plug fell completely out again and later the same night it worked it's way out to where I got a "not charging" message.

Dell has been wonderful and they have offered a system replacement if the latest service call did not fix the problem.  Everything has been replaced on this laptop except the screen so I don't see where a system replacement will help.  As DRHODESUMR said, it's a design flaw.

Yes, we could "deal" by pushing the plug back in continuously or running on battery, but I shouldn't have to compromise on a $1,500 laptop that is not yet a year old.

0 Kudos
cpuzder
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello All. I am hopeful Dell service supervisors look at this forum because I have been battling with Dell about this issue for months and despite my loyalty to Dell over the years Dell seems to not care about making this right. Here is my experience, which ended with Dell ruining my XPS 17 and sending me a new XPS with the same problem and a defective trackpad.

I'll summarize before the long post:

1) Dell denies that this issue occurs on anyone's machines;

2) Dell has no suggested resolution for this issue;

3) Upon sending my computer in for a serive review it came back damaged;

4) the replacement laptop Dell sent me had a defective trackpad.

I first contacted Dell about this issue - the loose power cord, shortly after I received the laptop. They sent, at my request, a new AC power adapter. That did not resolve the problem. The next step was to send out a tech to replace the I/O Board. When the laptop was taken apart (replacing the I/O board required an ENTIRE disassembly of the laptop, I noticed just how thick the chassis was. I plugged the male end of the AC adapter into the I/O board when it was out of the laptop, adn the fit was secure. as soon as it was intalled int he laptop, however, the issue was clear ... the male end of the AC power adapter is not long enough to get a stong connection.

I contacted Dell. They said - first and foremost that no one has complained about hthis issue before, despite numerous posts here on their own board and on Laptop Forums: forum.notebookreview.com/.../592840-dell-l702x-loose-c-power-cord-connection.html

Dell then suggested i send in the laptop for their engineers to look at the laptop (because they had never heard of this issue before). I sent it in. Upon return 1) the loose power cord issue was not resolved and 2) the KEYBOARD IS LOOSE! Everytime I type a letter it shakes like a wave. Furthermore, the chassis is dented- can you believe this? Apparently all the engineers did was replace the I/O board - the exact same step we went through with the tech they sent to me.

I called in and Dell sent me a replacement laptop .... The replacement laptop not only does not resolve the loose power connection, Bbuty also has a defective and unusable trackpad. I asked Dell a simple question - could they send me a laptop with comparable specs. The only thing Dell sells that is comparable is the Alienware 17x. I thought maybe Dell could send that to me for the same price of the XPS - I think the difference would be ~$300. Not a big deal for years of loyalty, right? Dell said no, the only thing they would do is give me a full refund.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The system is not designed to lock the AC adapter in place, if the notebook is not in a stable position and the cable is being pulled, it will fall out. If asked I assume that it was designed in this way to help stop accidental damage to the notebook and adapter if the AC adapter cable was tripped over or yanked out.

This isn't saying though that the cable should just fall out by itself. There shouldn't be any play if you wiggle the cable in the socket. If there is then the socket may be defective or damaged. If there were not any accidents, the cable was yanked out of the system or tripped over then you may wish to have the system serviced.

If you do feel that the jack is damaged, and would like a service, shoot me a private message with the service tag, your name, location, shipping address, email address and phone and I will research service options.

Dell engineering is aware of your concerns though, and I will post here immediately if any changes are planned for the system plastics or the AC adapter.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
petermic
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying,Terry.  This is one of those annoying problems where the service is more trouble than a simple home solution.  Simply glue a small velcro strip next to the power input and wrap another velcro piece around the cable near to the plug.  Voila - not pretty but problem solved.  Definitely some sort of minor design or manufacturing defect.  The very thick and stiff cord exacerbates the loose plug problem.  

It's a small problem but does undermine my confidence in Dell a little.  I've been a customer for 25 years.  Never posted before this issue arose.

Again, thanks for trying.

Tusin
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

XPS 15 is nearly the same. While it doesn't "fall" out. It does not fit snugly. My M1530 and Studio XPS fits MUCH better. Oddly enough, the A/C adapter from my Studio XPS (PN# CM161), fits better in the XPS 15 also. But as it is 130w, I am not sure if that is enough. My XPS 15 came with a 150w PS.

0 Kudos