cpuzder
2 Iron

Re: XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Jump to solution

Indeed, that is a resolution. This is also why consumers now question the integrity of Dell engineering. Why spend $1200 on a computer that you have to add a velcro adapter to?

0 Kudos
cpuzder
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Dell is sending me an XPS 15z as a replacement. is that the XPS 15 that experiences the same problem?

0 Kudos
dhughes1
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Well, all I can say is that like others here that have received an XPS17 and have issue with the cord falling out.. is that MINE has done the same thing since day one!  I also own 2 other Dell laptops and neither of those EVER (nor still) had this problem.

I, too contacted support on this issue awhile back.. after several attempts I was finally contacted by a "tech" that was to come to my home and replace the motherboard, and adapter.  He came and said that he only needed to put a new connector on the motherboard (which he didn't have) so off he went again until he received the part.  He returned and I watched him take my laptop apart, and I must say having worked for Hewlett Packard for years.. I'm not sure he was really familiar with how it comes apart as he was prying all around the metal edge near the keyboard trying to lift the top off...(later I found the scratches and marks from where he did this)...anyway, he did get it apart and replaced the connector, put it all back together and said .. there it's fixed.  I asked him to hand me the new adapter cord/plug... (he had taken my old one on his last visit).. I plugged it in and surprise, it was just as loose (you can easily wiggle it around while plugged in) as the old one...at this point he had no suggestions on how to correct it.

I've been using it and still it falls out (and not by pulling on the cable).. I can slide the laptop towards me and the plug will fall out with little to no effort.

Like one of the other people with this problem, I don't feel I should have to deal with this when I paid as much as I did for this one (which was considerably more than my other two that never had the issue).

I thought about calling support back, but am hesitant because maybe next time in the process of "fixing" it, someone will do more than just damage to edge of the top?   I might have to as I've begun to get the "adapter not recognized" error again, which was happening before the last one wouldn't plug in at all.

I too am a long time Dell buyer, but my next one may just have to go to another company.

dh

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
cpuzder
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Brilliant!

Should I do this and keep my XPS17 or just keep the 15z Dell is sending as a replacement ...

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Engineering is asking for the part numbers of the AC adapters that shipped with all of your systems that are having problems.  If you don't mind please look for a label on the brick of the adapter.  It will likely be a six digit number starting with a 0 and have DP/N listed in front of it.

I thank all of you for your help.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
equineaddicts
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello Terry B - Mine is DP/N 0J408P and I have two of them, both with the same issue.  Dell has been wonderful at trying to fix my complaints about my 6 month old "extreme performance" L702x and has replaced the motherboard and the AC connector (twice, I think) but sadly it did not fix the problem.  If it doesn't get fixed by the time it's out of warranty, I intend to try spreading the tabs as 80sGuy has suggested.

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Mine L702X is '0JU012'. Would like to see Dell have it revised.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cpuzder
2 Iron

Jump to solution

0JU012

Terry maybe you can help. The phone suppoprt and @dellcares is failing miserably I have 2 XPS17s and now a XPS15z that have been sent to me to try and resolve this problem and its only getting worse.

First, the XPS17 that I origianlly bought was sent in to try and repair the power cord deal and it was sent back with a dented chassis and incredibly loose keyboard.

I was then sent a replacement XPS17 ... same power cord issue ... I would keep that one and try the DIY resolution detailed on this forum, but that XPS17 has a trackpad that does not work.

In absolute desperation I agreed to have an XPS15z sent to me. SACRAFICING what I wanted most - the 17" screen, Dell then builds th emachine, reports that its an $1800 build ... and its REFURBISHED!

Are you kidding me? Seriously? Please help. Can I please get a 17" XPS 17 that is not dented, has a secure keyboard, is not refurbished and has a power cold that wont fall out - is that tooo much to ask?

Sorry for the rant, but I am so frustrated.

Thanks

0 Kudos