equineaddicts
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Jump to solution

I tried the right angle adapter and unless you are willing to give up the two USB ports to the left of the connector, it actually makes the matter worse (in my case). I use my laptop on a coolpad sitting on my lap and with the cord hanging straight down, I catch it with my knee/leg and pop it off.  It would work if it was directed to the side but, as I said, you have to give up the USB ports.  Not a good fix in my opinion.

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
bearshark
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

80sguy, we get it, you're helpful, but I assure you that's no fix. My first attempt just had the prongs flatten after a few days. Yes, you're a tech, have access to DELL sending you parts directly, for the rest of us, please let us continue to address the situation without the need for dental implements.

I called support yesterday, and there do not seem to be the notes Terry-B stated he put on my account. DELL offered to send an entirely new unit, but given that the issue seems universal, and based on what Terry himself has stated, replacing one with another the same would simply result in a whole heap of pain.

So, Terry, any updates?

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

bearshark,

These messages flood my inbox everyday and Dell seemed to have zero solution or doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it. All they can do is send out a tech and hack your system opened and call it a day. I offer a REAL FIX for folks that are not aware of the availability. Your outcome might be different with others (including me), but I assured you and as I am typing right now, my DC connector on my (second) unit is as tight as an alligator's bite. So let others have the option if they get nowhere with Dell, after all, complaining to Dell doesn't seem to help make their connections get tighter, or at least that's the way I see and read about it here.

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Just a follow-up to my earlier posts. The only way for Dell to fix this issue is 'IF' they contact TYCO (the vendor that manufactures the jack) and have them redesign a whole new DC Connector from the inside out, and then work with the other various vendors on the AC Adapter (brick) that plugs in to the dc jack, otherwise I don't see a fix no matter how many motherboards, dc jacks, ac adapters or how many times Dell dispatches a tech to you.

I understand that folks like Terry, Royan and Bill are doing their best but as for now....

0 Kudos
bearshark
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

you're welcome to drive to my house and do the dental fix for me, or you could let us keep "complaining" to DELL. Your call.

In both this and the other site I've thanked you profusely for your help on this issue. Now, please, respectfully, let us talk to DELL without talk of needing to pry apart metal filings via disassembly of our own laptops and call that a "fix"

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I won't drive or fly over to your house but I'd be more than happy to fix it if you send me the unit. Also, I'm not gonna stop you from complaining, you have every right to. As an open-forum, many frustrated Dell owners post their problems looking for help and suggestions. I have the right and I'll continue to provide my full contribution and support every way possible. You can ignore the suggestions since the method did not help you. Like I mentioned earlier, you can continue to complain all you want.

0 Kudos
Ian Zhao
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I found this problem too, and here's my service tag.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I want to step in and thank all of you that have provided service tags. It certainly got engineering's attention.  Right now they are in the process of gathering and testing notebooks from the field.   Hopefully they will be able to provide a solution for so many of you.

I will post as soon as i get any updates.  I thank all of you for your paitence.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
lukerothery
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi there, got this laptop in december 2011. Very happy with it except for this POWER ADAPTER issue. It is beyond loose and can be fustrating.

i just wanted to add myself to this post, to help Dell understand that this laptop has a Massive design flaw, and something needs to be done about it.

(and yes my cord did just fall out...)

0 Kudos