bearshark
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Jump to solution

got a tech coming tomorrow - fun new symptom, after the mobo replacement, the top-right corner of my case starts to pop up after a couple days. Amusing.

0 Kudos
RBDellUser
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Received this computer about 10 days ago and have the same proble. Sent Terry B the info. I have to plug it back in several times. Even light tapping on the keyboard with it on my laptop will make it fall out / come loose.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

80sGuy

It depends on how the notebook was configured.  If the notebook shipped with a lower end CPU and GPU the 130 adapter may work perfectly fine.  If the notebook though starts requiring more than the 130 watts of power, it will continue to work fine but it may stop charging the battery.  You will need to make sure that the notebook is turned off and plugged in to charge the battery.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Terry,

The specs on my notebook are identical as my previous model, and doesn't seem low-end by any standards at all:

-Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHZ

-nVidia GT550

-8GB DRAM

-LG 1080p AG Screen

-1TB HDD

-B-D Writer

The battery does charge fine with no problems. I get that notification only without the battery lodged in, and whenever I switch users, but never after an initial 'cold' boot/logon. If the battery is being used I can understand, but I'm strictly running on ac power. I'm starting to think the culprit to that pop up message might have something to do with the 130W adapter instead of being 150W -- but I hated the heavy and monstrous cables on those 150W bricks. If I leave the battery in there I will never see the message again but it is not a good thing to do.

Like I said, it is holding tight and charges fine, I have no performance issues whatsoever besides that message.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

No looks like you have a nice set up.  The battery may not charge as fast, or you may need to shut the notebook down when charging. As long as you are aware of this and still prefer it over the heavier 150 watt then it may just be the answer for you.  

Not much of an update for all of you but captures have been set up so that engineering can test systems from the field. I will report any results as soon as I have them.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
bearshark
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi, Terry... Thank you for continuing to push for this, I'm doing my part by going through what's requested me of DELL. You have my service tag number, so would very much appreciate you formally tagging my account for when I call in regarding this issue so it's no surprise to them that it's being worked on.

The latest, as discussed, was "assurances" from a senior tech support person who called me directly, saying they had changed the whole case and things worked better now. Tech showed up (late) to replace the bottom portion of the case.

My top section is now completely warped (the top-right edge popping out). I tested the unit before the tech left, given the number of fiddly bits that need to be reconnected, and my wireless signal was shot - he opened it back up, only to find that one of the connectors was loose.

Finally, he was about to leave, until I pointed out that my service tage/code, serial number and windows tag were on the part he was about to leave with. He just left the part, so I now have two "bottoms" for the beastie.

I looked at the revision numbers and manufacturing dates for the replacement parts, and their actually a month -prior- to the builds (to the day) of my unit. So, any promise of a fix for my December built unit are trumped by the November-built parts.

Soooo...

1) Power cord is still very, very loose, and only gets worse after a week or so

2) The top of the case (above the numberpad) is now warped and permanently sticking up

3) The bottom of the case lacks any windows identification, should I wish to reinstall the OS

4) The headphone jack closest to the front of the unit is still very loose.

Terry, at this point, I'd appreciate a call from someone senior so that I know things are actually proceeding. I'm still technically in my 21 days to return I believe, but again, I think I'm doing everything asked of me by DELL, I'd just like to see somebody recognize that from the company's end.

Thank you as well for pointing out, as I had earlier, that fixes involving dental equipment or lower-wattage power supplies are NOT what we're looking for.

0 Kudos
bearshark
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

oh, and now my posts are being deleted from this thread. Awesome.

0 Kudos
woodyth
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Been dealing with this issue for more than 9 months now and still no solution. I will in no way EVER buy another dell again or support their company in any way!

0 Kudos
80sGuy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

bearshark,

You need to call Dell and have them replace the palmrest. It removes VERY EASILY and all you have to do is to pop/click open and repeat the manner in the reverse order. Those palmrests; after a removal once or twice, they never seem to really want to stay back in the same place again.

Regarding the power jack; if you're seriously having problems, it doesn't hurt to AT LEAST try out the 130W brick (as it has a tighter grip), your outcome might be different from mine or....go for the dental pick until Dell comes back with a solution, if ever.

0 Kudos
bigloudc
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

bearshark,

I had the same thing happen to me. Nothing I said was wrong or anything. I guess we cannot speak our mind. We just want our computer cords fixed.

0 Kudos