epic1
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 17 NEW adapter plug loose and falls out?!?!

Jump to solution

Signed.

So sick of this. I gave away my old Core2Duo XPS to my gf. The power cord came in on the side and NEVER flopped out. This is so annoying as I'm constantly switching between table and couch, doing Photoshop and other intense things that drain battery. Even on the table, if you move it slightly, bam, on battery.

Come on Dell. I fell in love with my old laptop - this is inexcusable.

0 Kudos
cpuzder
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi d hughes. There is an indepth thread on this issue on this board here:

en.community.dell.com/.../20053087.aspx

I also set up an online petition to deliver to Dell. I would like the get as many signatures as possible here:

www.change.org/.../we-the-undersigned-request-that-dell-resolve-the-unusably-loose-power-connection-...

0 Kudos
bazzz3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Lets keep these threads near the top,as a daily reminder.

0 Kudos
ajskupa
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

They replaced my power port and charger yesterday.its  Still loose. Im wanting a real fix!!!

0 Kudos
doh_123
3 Silver

Jump to solution

I agree, the current situation is not acceptable.  A laptop should be designed so that the power cord stays in unless you want to remove it.  I've never had one that wasn't.  My XPS 17 power cord is not loose for pulling out, but it wiggles really easily, and one day I found the battery discharged with the power cord plugged in.  It had apparently been bumped enough to the side (it has been wiggly since I got it about a month ago), and was no longer making contact.  When I unplugged it and plugged it back in the battery recharged and it was okay.  But I've been careful to check it since then to be sure that the power cord is perpenicular to the back plane of the laptop.  

I'm guessing that this was one of Dell's funky tries at solving the loose power plug problem, but it really doesn't make me happy if the thing stays plugged in, but you can't tell if it's actually charging the battery of the laptop....That shouldn't be an issue, if the power cord is plugged in it should be supplying power for heaven's sake.

For a $1000+ laptop, Dell has been taking a mighty casual attitude towards a problem that is sure to become a bottom-line hit for them when people like you and me start buying Toshiba or Lenovo laptops because you can at least assume that the power will work right on them.  One can't afford to have more than one flaky $1000+ laptop.

0 Kudos
cpuzder
2 Iron

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
doh_123
3 Silver

Jump to solution
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have two laptops (XPS 15 & 9300) and they both have this same issue.

0 Kudos
malkboy
2 Iron

Jump to solution

So the long and the short of this after reading the replies is, Dell has made the adapter so that it can come out if a force is applied to it without causing damage to the system which makes it looser than say competitor products which have locking tabs on it but if someone catches the cord as you walk by it will hold the system and pull it off where ever it is or rip out the DC input jack.  I'm not going to say there may not be some that are "too" loose but really I'd rather deal with having to push the plug in than having to pay for having the system board or DC input replaced (or possibly more) when someone trips over my power cord (which will happen if you use the laptop out and about enough)

--
Terry W.

“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.” - Edgar Allan Poe

0 Kudos
equineaddicts
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Malkboy - are you serious? Do you even *have* one of these XPSes with this problem?  I've had half-a-dozen Dell laptops WITHOUT this problem until this XPS, and as a Dell PC Tech for 20+ years, I've worked on hundreds more laptops without ever seeing this before.  There's a big difference between tripping over a cord and having it disengage and moving the laptop forward an inch or two and having the plug fall out on the floor.

0 Kudos