Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2015 09:00

XPS 17 hard to boot

Hi

I don't really know if this is the correct place to ask this questions, so if this is in the incorrect thread, I'm sorry!

So, I've got a Dell xps 17 which is about 4 years old and when trying to start up the laptop won't boot.

After pressing the boot button the light will flash and you can hear the DVD-drive clicking. That's it. Nothing else happens.

Sometimes the light won't even glow and the DVD-drive won't click.

After doing this several times  it will finally start up. this can happen after 2 times but most of the time this will happen after +- 50/100 tries.

Once the laptop has started it works fine.

Has anyone got any idea what might be causing this? 

Thanks!

Martijn

September 30th, 2015 20:00

Hi Martijn Degreve,

We would like to know if you have made any hardwAre or software changes on the system. Also, try running hardware diagnostic to check if there are any hardware issues.
1. Power on the system, at Dell logo tap F12 continuously every second, this will take you to Advanced boot options. 2. With the help of the arrow keys, choose diagnostics option and run the diagnostics.
Please update us about the result. Incase you get any error code provide us the same. 

We would also like to know if you hear any beep sound in a pattern.

October 1st, 2015 01:00

I hadn't  thought about running the diagnostics.

So as soon as I'm off work, I'll run them and let you know what the results are.

But I can say that I don't hear any beeping, the only sound there is, is the DVD-Drive. But this is more of a click than a beep or sliding sound. It sounds similar to the sound when opening the Drive.

Also I haven't made any software or hardware changes that I know off.

October 1st, 2015 12:00

I've just ran the full diagnostics, including the memory test, and they all passed.

Any idea what might causing this?

Thanks!

October 2nd, 2015 03:00

Hi Martijn Degreve,

Thank you for the update. Check if there is any disc in the optical drive. Also, do let us know if you hear the clicking sound from the right or left side of the system.

Please follow the steps below to release static power from the system. 
1) Shut down the system

2) Remove all the external peripherals including the battery and the adapter.

3) Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds

4) Connect the AC adapter and the battery and power on the system.

Please update us if it helped you in getting the issue resolved.

October 2nd, 2015 04:00

Hi,

There isn't a disc in the drive and the click comes from the right side of the system.

I've also tried to remove all cables and the battery and held the power button for a while, but this didn't help.

i'll try it again when I'm home because i might not held it for at least 30  seconds. Just to make sure.

I'll let you know if it helped.

Thanks!

October 2nd, 2015 12:00

Hi

I've just tried the 30 seconds trick and it didn't helped.

Any other ideas? Or things you wan't me to try?

Thanks!

October 3rd, 2015 03:00

Hi Martijn Degreve,

Please private message us your system service tag or the order number with the registered owner's name. To send a private message, click on my name and click start conversation.

November 21st, 2015 07:00

I've found the issue that caused the booting problem. And would like to let you know.

The mousepad buttons board has failed and caused this issue.

After troubleshooting the system and taking out part by part the pc would boot without any problem after disconecting this part.

So finally this mystery is solved ;-)

Kind Regards

Martijn Degrève

No Events found!