Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2017 08:00

XPS 9360 - BIOS 2.4.2 causes hard drive problems

I updated my XPS 9360 (i7 7500, 16gb, 512 toshiba ssd) to the new BIOS version 2.4.2 from 2.3.1.

Every time I reboot the system with hard drive controller set in AHCI mode, Support Assist returns me "hard drive not installed" after displaying the Dell logo at the POST. After that, the notebook powers off and when I restart it, everything goes smoothly without any problem. The problem does not occur if I completely shutdown the XPS and then turn it on.

I'm very disappointed with it because I would like to install Ubuntu along with Windows 10 and the only way to do that is setting up AHCI mode.

Moreover, when the hard drive controller is set to RAID, the error does not show up while rebooting.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 21st, 2017 10:00

The system probably came with the SATA controller set to RAID for the NVMe drive.  You are correct in that you need AHCI to use Ubuntu, but did you change the controller on the Toshiba install by using the Safe Mode procedure and did it boot normally prior to the Bios upgrade?

Have you checked all the settings in the Bios to make sure they are where you want them.

I have no opinion on running Ubuntu on that system, but the Toshiba drive being run as NVMe my not have good performance since it does not seem to have is own NVMe driver and the Microsoft one is (or was) not good.

December 21st, 2017 12:00

My situation is the following:

- Before updating the bios I had Windows 10 along with Ubuntu 17.04. The controller was set to AHCI mode and the system reboots with no problems.

- Then, I decided to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch in order to have a fresh system (the only way to do that by using the Dell factory restore partition was setting the controller back to RAID). After the system had been restored, I updated the BIOS to 2.4.2 and tried to install Linux changing the SATA controller from RAID to AHCI.

The procedure I followed is the typical one: at the Windows prompt type "bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal",  reboot and set AHCI, at the Windows prompt "bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot" and reboot again.

From now on, the problem described in my first post pops up. Everytime I reboot the system, Support Assist tells me "hard drive not installed". The problem completely disappears if I set the controller back to RAID with the above-mentioned procedure.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 21st, 2017 13:00

- Then, I decided to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch in order to have a fresh system (the only way to do that by using the Dell factory restore partition was setting the controller back to RAID).

If you just had the Win 10 install there would have been no reason to change the controller.  You don't how you booted into Windows and I have very little recent experience with Ubuntu 

I find the best way to reset my system back to factory specs. is to use a win 10 recovery driver.  Of course, this depends on when you system was originally configured and how.

My Safe Mode option uses Msconfig.exe to turn on and then off when required.  Setting the system to reboot into Safe Mode allows for changing the controller in the bios and a Safe OS for the system to adjust.  Then turning off the Safe Mode boot  while in Safe Mode allows the system to boot back normally.

December 21st, 2017 23:00

I think I was not clear. I try to explain that better.

I bought my XPS 9360 a year ago with Windows 10 and the controller set to RAID. I installed Ubuntu 17.04 few months ago and obviously I had to set the  controller to AHCI. I also disabled secure boot and adjusted other settings in the Bios as described by many online guides. I used the safe mode to let windows install ahci drivers. Everything was all right.

A week ago I wanted to format and completely wipe the hard drive (removing both Windows and Ubuntu). Then I used the Dell recovery partition to reinstall Windows 10. Once done, with controller set to RAID, I updated the Bios to 2.4.2. Please note that the controller was set back to RAID because during recovery, Dell installs only drivers for RAID. Therefore the system can boot only in this mode (otherwise the hard drive would not be accessible and BSOD).

On top of that, I tried to install Ubuntu and the first thing to do was setting the controller to AHCI again. I followed the usual procedure with Safe Mode (changing the registry or using msconfig is the same).

This is when the problem appears: every time I reboot the system, just after the Dell logo at the Post, I receive the error "hard drive not installed". It's very annoying.

No Events found!