Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2017 23:00

XPS 9530 Problems with Intel Rapid Storage after HDD replacement.

I recently replaced the stock 1TB HDD in my XPS 9530 laptop with a 2TB HDD and since the replacement, I get the BSOD with ERR_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (iastor.sys) whenever I boot. I haven't found an easy way to disable the Intel Rapid Storage driver and the one time I tried to mess around in the BIOS, it wouldn't boot properly and I had to revert to the original settings.

Can anyone tell me how to disable or fix the driver on my XPS 9530 running 8.1?

532 Posts

June 27th, 2017 07:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

You’ve reached the right department. We’ll surely ty to assist you. Please let us know the model of the HDD installed. With regards to disabling the IRST driver, you’ll have to access BIOS and disable the same.

BIOS=> ADVANCED=> Disable IRST. Below is the image of the same.

June 27th, 2017 11:00

The model of the HDD is:

Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LM015)

I will try disabling the IRST and let you know how it worked. Thanks.

June 27th, 2017 16:00

My replacement HDD is a:

Seagate 2TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LM015)

I just tried disabling the IRST in the BIOS and I still get the BSOD on booting. The exact error message is:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (iaStorA.sys)

I also tried reinstalling my old HDD and it boots properly. I cloned the new HDD using Macrium Reflect an everything seems to work properly except for the boot issue. If I restart the computer after the BSOD, it boots normally

June 27th, 2017 16:00

My replacement HDD is a:

I just tried disabling the IRST in the BIOS and I still get the BSOD on booting. The exact error message is:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (iaStorA.sys)

I also tried reinstalling my old HDD and it boots properly. I cloned the new HDD using Macrium Reflect an everything seems to work properly except for the boot issue. If I restart the computer after the BSOD, it boots normally.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 27th, 2017 17:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS). Please follow instructions in link below to safety install latest BIOS version:

Update System Setup (BIOS) for a Dell Computer ... - YouTube

After installing BIOS and the BSOD still occurred, I suggest you install Chipset drivers, and Intel Rapid Storage driver (Serial ATA) in correct (Installation) order:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Have you tried turning off Fast Startup from the Power Options-choose what power buttons do?

The IRST is a driver you can uninstall or perhaps repair the install.  It might be best to do that from Safe Mode.  Did you change the controller version on the system, such as going from RAID to AHCI?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You could also download Intel free utility to search for the latest Intel Rapid Storage driver firmware in the link below. Please create a restore point before installing any drivers from the website.

Intel Driver Update Utility

July 13th, 2017 22:00

Hi all,

I've gotten around to trying all the suggestions above. I've disabled the IRST in the BIOS, reinstalled the drivers...everything and I am still getting same issue with the iAstorA.sys crashing on startup. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to bypass the intel drivers completely?

No Events found!