Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2013 07:00

XPS 9530 touch screen stops responding (how to fix)

Hello, I figured I'd share a (not so obvious) solution to a stupid little problem I have been experiencing with my new Dell XPS 15 - 9530 touch screen laptop.

After a period of time, the screen would stop responding until a sleep, restart, or until I disabled and re-enabled the touch screen in device manager.

TURNS OUT - Dell is shipping these out with a kind of wonky setting...  Go your device manager (Google it if you don't know what it is) 

THEN - goto "Human interface devices" and double click on the "USB input device" - if you have more than one, disconnect any external mice you may have attached.

FINALLY - goto the "Power Management" tab and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"... 

This has so far solved my issue...  and hopefully saves someone from a tech support call.

*******UPDATE - I had my system replaced and for some reason even with these modifications I was starting to have the screen problems again (after a long time perfect performance)...  SO - just to be safe, go back in to the device manager and turn off those same power management settings under "universal serial bus controllers"

The ones for mine (with all external devices disconnected) were Both "Generic USB Hub" and all 3 "USB Root Hub" devices (Including USB Root Hub xHCI)...  it ended up being all of them.

To reiterate, I disabled the power management on the internal USB hubs that power the mouse, keyboard and likely the touch input part of the screen.  

SO FAR - I have had no further problems...  I had to sacrifice some battery life, but I no longer am poking my screen to death in anger.  lol

278 Posts

December 1st, 2013 11:00

Excellent find! I came across the same problem and was looking for a fix. Touch screen was not responding to any touch input as described unless rebooted, powered off etc.

Unchecking the turn off to save power option on "USB Input Device" immediately re-enabled the touch screen again.

What was strange is it appeared it had stored the touch command I tried (Pressing of Start Menu icon) when it wasn't functioning in memory, because as soon as I changed the above setting in Device Manager, the Start menu popped up. So perhaps a driver issue is at play here.

The general problem however might not be just be a simple setting issue though, could be more to it, however your workaround is great! Dell should take note of this, as I'm sure more owners of the new XPS 15 will come across this.

Have you observed any drastic battery consumption issues since performing this change? I've only just done it so I can't really gauge it, but as its a power related setting we've disabled, I'm curious!

December 1st, 2013 13:00

Indeed - after using it on battery for a while, it does probably take an hour off your total usage...  I went from a 9 hour average to about 7.5 or 8 average...  95% after browsing the web for about 40 minutes...  

Really isn't terrible when you have a fully functioning computer.

I've only been running it a day - but I can imagine its a little more battery thirsty now, i'd rather have a fully working touch screen though...  lol

278 Posts

Of course. Thanks for the workaround!

Its something Dell need to look into though regardless. Trading battery life for a function that should already work isn't acceptable. I haven't however noticed any specific drivers or software provided by Dell related to the touch screen, makes me think it could be an upstream issue with Windows 8.1 itself.

Power Management looks to be the area of interest as proven with your workaround.

278 Posts

December 1st, 2013 14:00

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting your findings. I would agree, I can certainly live with the battery life loss, for a reliable touch screen!

9 Posts

December 18th, 2013 12:00

This was a very good thread for me also I have Inspiron 3521 and had the same issue of touch screen stop working. I think it has to do with drivers as noted previously because my issue started after an update relating to ""Intel Corporation - Storage Controler - Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controler"" which I think involves the intel HD graphics installed on my system.

5 Posts

February 24th, 2014 06:00

Works for my Dell XPS 15 laptop, great thank you!  Dell ... you should really fix this.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2014 20:00

Absolutely wonderful. Your trick worked! Thank you so much for posting such a helpful and out-of-the-box fix.Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I found the solution to a strange problem so quick.

April 7th, 2014 01:00

*******UPDATE - I had my system replaced and for some reason even with these modifications I was starting to have the screen problems again (after a long time perfect performance)...  SO - just to be safe, go back in to the device manager and turn off those same power management settings under "universal serial bus controllers"

The ones for mine (with all external devices disconnected) were Both "Generic USB Hub" and all 3 "USB Root Hub" devices (Including USB Root Hub xHCI)...  it ended up being all of them.

To reiterate, I disabled the power management on the internal USB hubs that power the mouse, keyboard and likely the touch input part of the screen.  

SO FAR - I have had no further problems...  I had to sacrifice some battery life, but I no longer am poking my screen to death in anger.  lol

April 11th, 2014 19:00

This post is in regards to the BIOS/UEFI update A03 that is released on Dells driver and update page.

I flashed this firmware update thinking it would be better, obviously the higher version number, however, you will notice that upon upgrading, you will notice that your touchscreen will no longer work. I spent almost 2 hours deducing what could have been the issue after I had updated some other drivers from Dell and Intel as well. I began combing through the logs in Windows 8.1 and noticed there were problems loading drivers for the NFC and the Touchscreen. So, I began uninstalling update by update until I decided to boot into my Linux OS to determine whether the problem was a driver issue with Windows, or a system wide problem.

Sure enough, I booted Linux, touched the screen and nothing...so I naturally went back to the Dell website to look for the A02 version of the BIOS/UEFI update to downgrade. Couldn't find it, so I searched on my best friend, google, and found a link for the old A02 (current version), and downloaded it. I then began the installation, it will tell you that Dell doesn't like to downgrade, but I ignored it since the upgrade process didn't clear the entire ROM just a portion, plus the EC. So, once I downgraded and reboot, touch screen works!

I hope that helps those who did the same thing as I did.

April 14th, 2014 23:00

Though this might be the problem for your machine, i've had mine since A00 bios, and all versions have given me this problem...

I can't find any specific change logs for the Bios updates...  But I'll certainly look into this.

The above mentioned fixes fixed my problem for a while, hopefully a screen change fixes it like I had it on my original machine (this is now a replacement)...

Thanks for the input...!

April 16th, 2014 20:00

No problem. I would think that Dell would thoroughly test their firmware updates to ensure that these types of problems don't occur. When I upgraded, I was having the same problems as you, removing the devices and reinstalling didn't work since the computer was still using MS generic drivers for the touch screen (HID device). The Synaptic drivers aren't for the touch screen nor is the other driver for listed that starts with an L I think. Rolling back to A02 works for my drivers. Any chance you tried a system recovery using the image dell installs? Dell's failed but the second option to reinstall using Windows recovery worked.

278 Posts

April 17th, 2014 15:00

Some information for anyone that has their screen panel replaced. I have a top tier XPS 9530 with the A03 BIOS.

I recently had my screen replaced (QHD 3200 x 1800 panel) after backlight bleeding was occurring on the left side where the black bezel meets the lid assembly, thin vertical gaps were present in the top, middle and bottom portion of the left side.

After the screen was swapped out (thankfully no longer any backlight bleed) and booted up the touch portion of the screen was completely non functional, I checked device manager and all the touch based hardware was present and had no errors, but touch events weren't being registered at all. I then grabbed the QHD firmware from the Dell website and ran it, it said I had latest firmware already, but suddenly the touch screen came to life. Not sure if this triggered anything or just coincidence, but it worked again.

The screen needed recalibrating though as many parts of the touchscreen were way off on registering touch events after the replacement. In order to fix it I had to go to Tablet PC Settings and Reset the calibration data and go through the calibration again. You need to reset it before going through the calibration process otherwise you'll still get wonky touch events in some cases and the positioning will be off. Well it was with me anyway.

After all this though I noticed that the Power Management tab for "USB Input Device" (touchscreen) had disappeared. Though after a reboot it reappeared again. Bit strange.

Hope this helps anyone who has a screen replacement for whatever reason and thinks the touchscreen is DOA.

July 29th, 2014 08:00

Thanks! I have the very same problem and appreciate your input. I'll give it a try. Bob

August 15th, 2014 00:00

THANX A LOT!!!!! 

THAT DID THE TRICK.

No Events found!