Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2017 10:00

XPS 9550 (2015) - Battery bulging, pushing up trackpad

Was hoping to have some help with resolving my problem.

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed that the trackpad on my XPS 9550 (2015) has been rising, especially in the bottom right-hand corner.  At first it only rose a very negligible amount but now the corner has noticeably risen and both left- and right-click do not register.  If the laptop remains turned on for more than a couple hours the trackpad rises even higher though not as much as I've seen happen to other owners'.  I haven't used the laptop in over a week now in the hopes of avoiding any other issues that may arise.

From what I've read, this is a common problem due to a bulging battery and should be remedied as soon as possible.  For this, I have a few questions:

-Should I be worried about permanent trackpad/case damage?  Some owners have stated that at a certain point the trackpad will become damaged and must be replaced.

-Is the battery a safety issue?  I have the laptop on to make this post but I am worried about turning it on at all.

-What are my options for resolving this issue?  My laptop is out of warranty so I am unsure as to what the procedure would be for replacing the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

489 Posts

August 1st, 2017 15:00

-Should I be worried about permanent trackpad/case damage?  Some owners have stated that at a certain point the trackpad will become damaged and must be replaced.

Yes, remove the battery ASAP. The laptop may work without it on AC power.

-Is the battery a safety issue?  I have the laptop on to make this post but I am worried about turning it on at all.

Yes, it is a moderate fire hazard, may start burning if punched, and it should be handled with extreme care. Funnily, this is not stated in any safety warning in the service manual, perhaps because the batteries were in fact not expected to swell.

-What are my options for resolving this issue?  My laptop is out of warranty so I am unsure as to what the procedure would be for replacing the battery.

Faded capacity is considered normal wear and may not be covered by warranty. I believe swollen batteries, especially soon after warranty expiry, should not be considered something normal and should be fixed for free by the manufacturer with a recall even after warranty is expired, particularly because they may damage other components and because they are a fire hazard. Some buyers have reported that Dell did that for them, but this seems to depend on the particular case and Dell centre.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 1st, 2017 15:00

The battery will destroy the touchpad/keyboard and IS a safety hazard - remove it from the system and out of your home or office immediately.

Contact Dell support - they are reportedly replacing at least some swollen battery types out of warranty.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 1st, 2017 22:00

Thank you for your message.

This seems to be an issue caused by a swollen battery.

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

No Events found!