Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2016 21:00

XPS 9550 TB15 dock combo, closed lid issue?

Hello,

Everyone appears to have issues with the dock such as a port not working or stuttering or resetting. But I am not having ANY of these issues. The only issue I am having is I cannot close the lid with an external monitor. I have already changed the settings on the XPS 9550 to "Do Nothing" when the lid is closed both on battery power and without. I also plugged it into the power adapter just in case.

What happens when I do close the lid is the external monitor goes to sleep and ALL peripherals connected no longer work (including display) after opening the XPS again. I have to restart the computer for the dock to work again.

No overheating issues, no fan issues, no stuttering, other than this small problem.

Anybody have any solutions? 

27 Posts

March 17th, 2016 21:00

This isn't a TB15 issue. I've seen the same problem with third-party USB-C video adapters. I believe it is a power management problem. If you're using Windows make sure your power management features are configured so that when the laptop lid is closed Windows will "Do Nothing" when you're connected to AC power. (YOU DID THAT.) If you're using a Dell monitor, I found that some of them have hyper- aggressive power management features. On my UP3216q, there's a setting to disable the monitor sleep feature but it doesn't work. And there is almost no delay between when the monitor loses the picture signal and it begins its sleep countdown. If I reboot my XPS 15 9550, the monitor will be asleep before the machine comes back up. I'm using Windows 10 and I also have some questions about the power management features there. In fact the whole settings/control panel dichotomy is really screwed up.

I have an additional problem with closing lid — it can cause the monitor to blink on and off. This seems to be a Dell laptop to Dell monitor problem. And it may be 4K and/or USB-C related. Here's how I solved the problem, and you're not going to like it. But I'm getting used to it: I just tuck the laptop under the monitor edge and leave it open 3 inches.

By the way, I'm not having any problems with the TB15 either. In fact I just ordered a second one. You really have to keep up to date on the drivers and firmware, though. The ones listed in this forum are way out of date now. One of the Dock drivers was updated a couple days ago, and the Thunderbolt 3 firmware was updated again about a week ago.

1 Message

March 26th, 2016 23:00

I am having the same problem with my new Thunderbolt 15 as I try to get it to work with my XPS 15 (9550). I just updated the driver for the TB, the firmware, and all the associated drivers - in the order Dell recommends (see this article: /Article/us/en/04/SLN296828 under dell.com/support). I think I'm going to like this, but right now, I can't close the lid. 

Also, it seems like the USB C connection might be a bit finicky: if I move the laptop when plugged in, I can loose my peripherals. 

Thanks for any feedback.

27 Posts

March 27th, 2016 19:00

So, my notes for comparison purposes. I just bought another external monitor and another TB15. For the first time since I got my Dell XPS 15 — through four different USB to various video adapters and three TB15s (one I had to return) — I am finally able to close the lid. It's only with the TB15 and its with all the latest drivers installed.

I don't think most people actually have all the latest drivers installed. If you're going to your service tag page for your Dell laptop or Dell Thunderbolt Dock, you are probably not seeing all the drivers that Dell has updated. I don't know why this is the case, it's a little bit nuts. But look at the Dell Docks/Stands drop-down on this generic (no service tag entered) XPS 15 9550 page:

www.dell.com/.../drivers

Have you installed all six of these? Before you say yes, double check the Release Dates and also the actual filename, and which usually has the exact version number and it. Compare that to what you've installed already the way I do it is that I keep all the updates I've installed in one folder sorted in reverse chron.They don't always change the filename, however, when they do an update. What always does change is the release date. That's often the only indicator that code has been changed or might have been changed. You can ignore the last updated date. They're referring to the page that describes the update, not the code itself.

There have been two Thunderbolt firmware updates and commensurate controller updates in the last six weeks. I'm not sure everybody has noticed them both. If memory serves there have been two and maybe three ASM USB 3.0 updates since January. I believe that all of these dock files have been updated more than once. It's very easy to install the first one and think the second one is the first one.

About that USB-C connection, I have a thought. You know that you have properly inserted a cable end into a USB-C port when you hear and feel a click. Anything less than that it's not properly attached. It's designed to keep the cable from falling out. With some cables, and I noticed that this was the case with my TB15s, you have to press more firmly and with a bit more force than you expect to. Try that, see if that's the problem.

-- phineas

Please forgive speech-recognition dictation errors.

20 Posts

April 20th, 2016 21:00

Thanks everyone for the replies. Apparently I can't reply without quoting someone.

As of my OP, I had all drivers installed up to that point, the drivers were a fresh install. Dell just placed another BIOS update, and several other firmware updates. I installed this specific firmware that promises a closed lid:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=KTR76&fileId=3532595644&osCode=WT64A&productCode=xps-15-9550-laptop&languageCode=en&categoryId=BI

There's also a new firmware. I installed that, along with several other drivers. Here is where I am at now:

I am now able to close the lid for about 4 seconds before the monitor passes out on me. The laptop is still on and working, however all the peripherals connected to the dock have stopped working. Now this is important, because if they were still functioning, then one could say the problem is with the monitor but ALL peripherals are disconnected when the laptop is closed. So at this point I am just waiting for drivers. 

I am really frustrated with Dell on this, every experience I have with Dell is awful. The website is horrible, the forums are horrible, it's a pain to find the drivers page, the updates don't always install, there's a problem with the trackpad.

27 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 11:00

I installed the full bios and multiple firmware update about 10 minutes ago. The lid has been closed since the moment the system came up after installing the new bios/firmware. So far so good. All my peripherals are working, but I never had that problem before. I have seen sluggishness with Bluetooth pointing devices all along. Right now they seem better but that doesn't mean anything; it's an intermittent problem. I have two TB15 docks and to two identical Dell displays. They're in different locations. One of the two sets is more touchy than the other one concerning the lid closing. The pair I'm testing with today has gone 5 to 10 minutes before with the lid closed without adverse reactions. But somewhere between five and 10 minutes, the backlight will begin blinking out for five seconds at a time, and during those five seconds, the computer, dock and monitor all disconnect from each other very briefly.

The lid has been closed about 15 minutes now. It's still really too soon to say, but it's looking good for the update with one of my external monitors so far. I will be able to test the other one on Monday.

27 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 20:00

Just a quick update: I posted the previous message at noon yesterday. I worked at my computer and monitor until about 6 PM and then left it connected to the monitor until about 10 PM, while I was nearby. It went 10 hours without even the slightest hiccup — with the lid closed. I'm sorry to hear it hasn't solved everyone's problems related to lid closure, but this bios and firmware combination update looks to have solved the problems I've had with frequent loss of monitor backlight for about five seconds at a time. I've tried four separate monitors with this computer and all of them had the same problem. I had the same problem with or without the TB15. So far as I noticed, the BIOS firmware update did not update the dock. It was the computer that was updated. The USB-C port driver, for example, received a significant update.

20 Posts

April 26th, 2016 21:00

I am absolutely *** furious right now. Since I got this piece of *** on 03/08, I have done nothing but trouble shoot this. I have done NOTHING on this laptop because it DOES NOT WORK. I will NEVER again attempt to start a business on Dell.

I have installed ANY AND ALL UPDATES as of 04/26, and for the past week my problems have not gotten better, they have gotten WORSE. Now the USB peripherals don't work. No matter what. The only thing that works is the monitor. I still can't close the lid, the monitor flickers every now and then. 

I am absolutely appalled by this product. Never have I experienced such incompetence by both a company and the support. 

If you call support all they tell you is, "yes ser we are working on it", and nothing more. You would think that this new product would have Dell working around the clock. Nothing works. Nothing. I am furious. FURIOUS. 

At first the only problem was closing the lid. As I install more and more "updates" or "fixes" my problems get worse and I start having more issues. I am TIRED of it. I could be spending this time playing with my kids, working to better my business, instead I spend my time on this laptop TROUBLESHOOTING. 

I can't take this anymore. I'm calling Dell. 

27 Posts

April 27th, 2016 14:00

I understand your frustration. Today I'm frustrated too. Because on both monitors I started seeing the backlights blink out for a few seconds beginning almost immediately when I closed the lid repeating numerous times throughout the day. The last several days I've had no trouble. Now it's like I never installed that bios and firmware update. Makes me think that there's a specific condition that triggers this, like software running in the background or atmospheric temperature – something that's not in vogue all the time.

1 Message

April 27th, 2016 16:00

DELL XPS 9550, new.. Installed new BIOS - highly suggested by Dell Update app. At first look everything looks ok. But.

Laptop sent in sleep mode, lid also closed. Before sending to sleep - had battery level fully charged.

After ~ half a day (didn't counted hours), opening laptop and not able to turn it on. Why? Battery is around 5%. Turning on works only with power adapter plugged in. And if I'm traveling? 

Is this a "sleep" mode?... Something is working in background that keeps it awake and eating power. Searched all device properties - nothing strange found. Power management settings looks ok.

Fighting with this issue for a few days now. Dell, please, investigate. 

20 Posts

April 28th, 2016 16:00

Phineasjw, Sorry to see that it's acting up. That's probably even more frustrating then it never working. I want you to try the following. I wanna see if this will work for you. I tried them but it didn't do much impact. Since every dock is apparently different it may yield results: 

1. Turn off the laptop completely. Disconnect Thunderbolt 3 dock.

2. Boot it up and start pressing "F2" repeatedly. The top right should say "entering setup". After the screen will change and you'll be in the UEFI bootloader

3.  Navigate to the drop down "System Configuration" and then click on "USB/Thunderbolt Configuration"

4. Check any unchecked checkboxes, most likely "Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support", "Always Allow Dell Docks," and "Enable Thunderbolt PRe-boot". Select the radio button "Security Level - No security" At the bottom right click on "Apply" and then it'll ask you if you want to save it under user, select yes.

5. Now Navigate to the dropdown "Power Management" click on "USB Wake Support" and check the boxes "Enable USB Wake Support" and then "Wake on Dell USB-C Docks". Click apply on bottom right. Also read the "NOTE" left on there, very interesting.

6. Bottom right, exit, and then retry your dock. Let me know if there are any successes

Note, this isn't anything Dell told me to do. An update on my end, I called Dell, they assessed the dock was defective, after 2 hours of asking me if I updated the drivers. The tech was very nice and courteous, but as usual it just feels like Dell employees simply do not care the situation. I'm not saying they need to be jolly or even sound happy, they just don't seem to have the troubleshooting mindset and just "go through the checklist". I am getting a new dock, and before I send ANYTHING back to them I will test it out for two days and determine which one is better. I will report on any update.

20 Posts

April 29th, 2016 18:00

Just got another update from Dell, my Dock replacement is backlogged by two weeks

1 Message

May 4th, 2016 13:00

Lower the Laptop local resolution to 1920X1080... its a 4k display youre trying to pump out over the dock when you close the lid. The Dock supports 2 1920X1090 displays or 1 4k display. When you close the lid its trying to push 4K across the thunderbolt cable. 

27 Posts

May 5th, 2016 17:00

No, that's incorrect. The Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) supports two simultaneous 4K connections at 60 Hz. Here's what the Dell tech specs say:

"The Dell Thunderbolt™ Dock with Intel® Thunderbolt 3 technology is the ultimate docking solution, designed for power users and traditional workstation clients, creating the ability to connect three FHD displays or two 4K displays at 60Hz ..."

And you can find that information here:

accessories.dell.com/.../productdetail.aspx;l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=450-AEVM

1 Message

May 6th, 2016 23:00

I got my replacement dock earlier than the tech support people expected which is a positive.  The downside is that it didn't change my issues.  I have noticed that it seems to happen more are my computer heats.  Which I would expect to happen more with the lid closed.  I realized this as my issues happened more during the day (normal room temp ~ 70 F) than they did when to cool air coming from the window crosses my desk at night.

70 Posts

May 19th, 2016 05:00

I have similar problems with the TB15 as this closed lid thread, which is an example of a larger problem with the TB15 and external monitors and Windows 10 power management. When attached displays are put to sleep by power management or when Windows puts the computer to sleep, the attached monitors are not powered back on, requiring either a reboot or disconnecting/extending the displays through control panel. I'm running the latest TB15, and Precision 7710 drivers/bios/updates as of today, and Dell support has been poor in responding. I followed this threads's advise on configuring USB-C and power management in the bios, but that hasn't helped. I'm withing the 30 day return period of my second TB15, so I'm going to return it soon unless this problem resolves soon. 

64dude

No Events found!