Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 27th, 2016 01:00

XPS 9550 Trackpad is horrible

I normally use a mouse (actually a Logitech Trackman Wheel) with my XPS 15 9550, but when I have to use the trackpad, it is absolutely horrible. Its response is erratic and can be very difficult to control. I do not see any specific entry in Device Manger for the trackpad other than HID-compliant mouse related ones with generic Microsoft drivers nor can I find anything on the Dell Support site for it. Is there a better driver for this thing? I am running Windows 10 v1607, build 14393.321.

JohnD

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 27th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

Kindly click on the link below and check if your able to update the drivers:

www.dell.com/.../advanced

We would also suggest you to update the BIOS on the system to check that helps.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

380 Posts

October 27th, 2016 14:00

Robin,

1. I don't think that driver link applies to my system. It seems to refer to unifying a wireless keyboard and mouse, not installing a driver for the onboard trackpad.

2. There is no entry for a trackpad (such as for "Synaptics") in either "Program and Features", "Device Manager", or on the Dell Support site for my service tag. Everything seems to be defaulting to Microsoft generic drivers.

I will attempt to update the BIOS and will send you my service tag.

JohnD

EDIT: I updated BIOS to the latest version (1.2.14). It is somewhat better but it still acts very erratically. I may click on one thing on the taskbar, and something else pops up.

October 27th, 2016 15:00

I have the same problem with my laptop....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2016 09:00

Hi Bernad,

Thank you for reaching out!

Kindly update the drivers and also check if the external mouse works and also check the system in " safe mode"

Private message the service tag and email address..

Thanks

Robin

380 Posts

October 29th, 2016 00:00

Robin,

The driver software you are referring me to is for managing wireless keyboards and mice for connection to one USB wireless receiver. I does not have anything to do with trackpads. From what I can determine, there does not seem to be a specific driver for the trackpad. It defaults to a Microsoft generic driver, which is unfortunate. Who manufactures the trackpad and do they not have drivers for it?

JohnD

380 Posts

October 29th, 2016 07:00

Well I just found out something. Apparently the XPS 15 9550, and possibly many other newer laptops, are blessed with what is known as a "Precision" Touchpad. This was co-developed by Microsoft and Synaptics and supposedly allows higher precision tracking and a number of special gestures to perform new functions. It also allows you to move the cursor when your finger is sliding on where the left or right button is located. These areas are considered part of the touchpad, not just buttons for clicking. The drivers for this type of touchpad come directly from Microsoft and must be updated by Microsoft.

I quickly found out that all these gestures can create havoc, such as all of a sudden virtual desktops popping up. So I have shut off everything I can, even disallowing taps on the touchpad. It helps but it still recognizes some taps.

So it looks like we are stuck with this thing unless we learn to somehow tame it.

JohnD

4 Posts

October 1st, 2017 12:00

XPS 13 2in1. Touch pad Gesters all of a sudden stopped working. 2 finger tap for right click, finger zoom, moving files farther than the touch pad boundaries, etc. These used to work but now they dont. Drivers is a ps2 driver.. wtheck

No Events found!