Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 2nd, 2017 12:00

XPS 9550 multiple BSOD's daily on work PC - DELL advice requested

Multiple daily crashes now.  Windows says there is a problem and attempts to reboot.  Reboot fails.  Windows offers troubleshit, reboot, power down, etc.  Power down allows to recover where I was.

This is a 9550 with FHD display running two external FHD displays.  There is no HD, just SSD and a bigger battery.  Also using a wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech.  That's it.  After the initial problems a year and a half ago at introduction, it has been pretty solid until 1-2 weeks ago.  After recent updates, it's a POS.  But I do not know which update did it.

DELL, DO YOU KNOW???

P.S.  I'm not a robot.  Don't you be one either.

17 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 17:00

What's the BSOD message? I know I had problems with an earlier version of the Intel Graphics 950 driver causing BSOD's that caused me to back it down to an earlier version. Dell just upgraded my graphics drivers, which haven't (yet) caused an issue but I know to watch carefully.

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 18:00

I just installed the latest intel graphics driver, and it did not help or change anything I can see.  21.20.16.4664 is what is installed now.  The message is uninformative and leads immediately to a spontaneous reboot.  "A system problem was encountered...."

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 18:00

P.S.  This has the Intel 530.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 20:00

Thank you for your message.

What is the blue screen error message you get, does the computer restart or shut down after the error.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB , this is to confirm that there is no hardware error.

Once completed you can install this software http://bit.ly/1GoNC21  & click analyze. This will help us understand the exact driver/ application that is causing the error.

For better assistance, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2017 12:00

What is the blue screen error message you get, does the computer restart or shut down after the error.

---> It does not give one as I recall.  Just "There was a problem. Will restart." ... and off it goes before I can read any more.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB , this is to confirm that there is no hardware error.

---> What is this software, and why isn't it on the Dell support site?

--->Note: SupportAssist finds nothing wrong with hardware.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 6th, 2017 18:00

Please run the diagnostic from the F12 menu, restart the computer & tap F12, choose Diagnostics from the menu.

The software link provide is from a 3rd party & not a Dell software, hence not available on our support site.

Once you analyze, the software will provide us a detailed information of the error & if it is an issue with the hardware, driver or OS files.

6 Posts

August 9th, 2017 15:00

The BSOD message is stimple, like I already said, that "there was a problem and the system needs to reboot."  It reboots itself in about 1 second without waiting for any input (dumb), and then it says there was a reboot error (dumber).  Then I restart where prompted vs taking the "find a solution path" (which does not help).  It then restarts properly (lost work).  I checked the event record.  I have had 11 of these crashes, and they all are logged as event ID 41, for user system, critical, task category 63, "Kernel-Power."  There is nothing wrong with the power.  Here are the event details:

+ System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid]  {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 5

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime]  2017-05-31T18:45:44.787106700Z

EventRecordID 642

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID]  4

[ ThreadID]  8

Channel System

Computer SRD-Laptop

- Security

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 340

BugcheckParameter1 0xffffc20048519000

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 2

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

I cannot run that F12 diagnostic without knowing who is responsible for it and supports it.

No Events found!