Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2016 06:00

XPS 9550 - new MS updates kill USB ports

I'm running XPS 9550 with Windows 10 x64 Professional. A lot of users (not only Dell users in fact) have reported that previously released KB3194496 killed their ability to use USB devices. I was one of the victims of this issue and the only solution for me was to uninstall this update completely and disable (hide it) from automatic reinstallation. 

This morning another KB3194798 was installed on my Dell XPS laptop with exactly the same effect - USB ports are dead and my Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller cannot be started nor its driver updated. I can see the message saying: "The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have problems with Windows. Contact the hardware vendor for a new driver. (Code 48).", but there are no updates for my model at the Dell site...

I understand that the newer KB included some buggy part present in the older KB and that's the reason my USB ports aren't working again. It seems to be no way to control this, as 1. I don't know which "sub-KB" kills my port and 2. I can't select which "sub-KBs" to install, it's all or nothing...

Does anyone has this problem as well and figured out how to resolve the issue? I can't simply skip any new updates...

No Responses!
No Events found!