Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2016 19:00

XPS 9550 not working with TB15 Dock

Just received my 4th XPS 9550, previous onces had faulty motherboard, keys falling off, and faulty hard drive). I updated everything straight off of the dell website, including the bios. But I still can't get my thunderbolt dock to work. I plug it in and makes the noise indicating something is being plugged and unplugged. It looks like it can't decide between being on wifi or LAN and the Realtek USB GbE family controller keeps on disappearing in the device manager. I have updated that drivers as well.

XPS 15 9550 i7 500GB SSD 16GB RAM Windows 10 64 Pro

The dock will somewhat work if I don't have the LAN cable plugged in the back. I can't use any wireless devices (mouse) plugged into the dock because it stops working after a minute. I've also noticed the ASMedia USB controller has fault icon on it. Tried updating those drivers. Every once in a while, the second monitor will go in and out.

I have conducted all their diagnostic tests and all are good.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm a student and need my laptop everyday. If this is another hardware issue, I'm going to return it. I doubt the 5th unit in 1.5 months will be any different.

53 Posts

February 13th, 2016 20:00

If it's of any consolation, we are all experiencing the same problems:

1) LAN disconnecting
2) USB devices connected to the dock disconnecting
3) External monitors blanking out for a few seconds
4) Fans ramping up and extremely noisy when dock is connected.

It's not the laptop (I replaced 3 for the same reasons you mentioned). It's most likely (or at least I hope so) the thunderbolt software/firmware.

I'm still trying to decide whether to return my TB15 or wait for Intel/Dell to fix this...

3 Posts

February 15th, 2016 12:00

having similar problems, monitors disconnecting after a few seconds or minutes, having to unplug the dock and plug it back in for the monitors to work for  few minutes again. this also takes out the USB to flash drives and powered external drives, and LAN connection.

this thing does not work as advertised. should be somekind of firmware fix for this ASAP.

6 Posts

February 16th, 2016 12:00

Heads up, they just updated drivers. You can download them on dell.com. Hopefully they work this time around.

2 Posts

I bought the dock with great anticipation. Just used the weekend to update my 9550 and today the dock seems to work a little better...with one external monitor. I have 2, both 1080 older variants. However, there is only one HDMI port, so I run the other through VGA. Today I get no signal to the second monitor on the VGA connection. I had used the older D3100 port which worked wonderfully to extend my older laptop's display over two 24" monitors. I noticed that although I updated the bios to the latest 1.19, it still shows 1.15 in Device Manager, but if I go to reinstall it states I have 1.19. Go figure! Any suggestions?

3 Posts

i want to add that it disconnects way more with 4k monitors than it does with 1080p

6 Posts

There are quite a few people experiencing this including myself.  I've re-installed the OS 3 times now trying various drivers and just to start again with a clean slate.  I have the Dell USB C graphics adapter with VGA/USB/HDMI/Ethernet and that has been working great so I know the port is working correctly on my laptop.

The TB15 dock has been really troublesome but I've not had it work 100% yet (only display works consistently).  The ethernet and USB ports will cause it to continuously disconnect and reconnect if you plug anything into them.  It gets to the point where you need to power cycle the dock to get the display working again but it'll eventually die again if you have anything UCB/ethernet plugged into the dock.

6 Posts

If I only have my HDMI monitor plugged into the TB15, it will stay somewhat stable. If I connect the ethernet cable it will cycle the USB-C and cause a hardware failure. When I first plug in a wireless mouse or USB drive, it will work for 1-2 minutes and then just stop.But doesn't cause the hardware failure. Seems to work if I use a hard wired keyboard and mouse.

My reliability history went down to 0... This is just flat out annoying. The dock was the main reason I got this computer.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2016 13:00

Okay, this is the last chance for my TB15 before I return it (I have about 2 weeks left to decide). I downloaded and installed these 5 today, rebooting after each:

Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM15_A02_02.11.06.exe
Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe
Audio_Driver_HMMX3_WN32_6.3.9600.41_A01.EXE
Chipset_Driver_9YCY0_WN64_2.43.2015.1225_A01.EXE
Chipset_Driver_V2WY5_WN32_1.16.32.1_A01.EXE

One was a little tricky to find, but this looks like the right USB driver (better this than the ASUS one some of us were trying, right?) http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=V2WY5

The others were from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-dock-wd15/drivers

6 Posts

February 16th, 2016 19:00

Hey all. I got the TB15 working. Not sure which step did it but here it goes:

1. Verify you have updated your bios. I also enabled all the TB stuff for booting.

2. Go to the Dell product webpage and click on show all drivers. Go down to the Dock section and download them all.  Also get the Realtek audio and networking.

3. Disable your internet so it can go out and search. Uninstall the drivers and applications for TB. Reboot.

4. I started with installing the TB controller A00 and then did the A01. Rebooting after each. And then Tried to do the firmware A02 but it said it was already updated.

5. Installed the ASMEDIA USB 3.0 Extended controller for the dock, then did the normal Realtek USB and rebooted. Don't know if you need to do the normal Realtek USB GBE or if you can just jump to the Dock version. But I did the normal one first.

6. Installed the USB audio drivers, rebooted, installed the update for USB audio/mouse. Rebooted.

So far it is stable. Has not dropped my LAN and video has not been flickering. But it does lose the wireless mouse...

That's about it. We'll see if it holds up

1 Message

February 19th, 2016 07:00

I've recently run through very similar steps and and so far it looks like it's more stable. Thanks. One thing I've noticed is that it looks like there should be a light on the cable that plugs in to the laptop but it is not lit when connected. I'm also not getting power over the thunderbolt cable. Are you experiencing the same? Thanks.

6 Posts

February 19th, 2016 10:00

Ya, you should have a light. I have noticed it does not come on some times when I first plug it in. I usually unplug wait a few and replug and it comes on. If yours does not do that, I would unplug the TB15 and shut everything down and then repower up.

5 Posts

March 28th, 2016 11:00

Updated drivers solve all of the problems posted in this thread.  Find the Dell Product Support page showing your specific system including your unique service tag, then click on BROWSE ALL DRIVERS, the select the drivers for DOCKS/STANDS.

53 Posts

March 28th, 2016 13:00

-

53 Posts

-

13 Posts

No they don't. 

No Events found!