Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2016 17:00

XPS 9550 with no audio after been started

I have two XPS with the following problem: after starting the laptops (not from sleep) there is no audio. Skype and Skype for business hangs starting up and after a while the Windows Explorer becomes unresponsive. When I try to restart all audio services, the service "audiosrv" can't be stopped nor restarted. I have to use taskkill with the force option to stop it.  After restarting all audio services the audio start working normally but killing also kills others services like wireless but if I restart the laptops the audio start working as it should be, right from the start. It only happens after the laptops has been shutdown for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Any idea? 

12 Posts

July 1st, 2016 21:00

Anyone with the same problem or hopefully the fix?

13 Posts

August 25th, 2016 13:00

I get this, did you find a fix?

13 Posts

Yep, I get this exact behaviour. I've updated to the latest BIOS (1.2.13), tried using the latest drivers (newest as of 3 days ago), but nothing. It's been this way for months and is extremely frustrating, and I haven't heard anything from  Dell regarding a fix.

12 Posts

Not yet. A restart immediately after booting up solve the problem. Sometimes after restarting I have to go to to the Playback Devices option and disable and enable again the Speakers / Headphones for Realtek Device to make it work. Waking up the computer after sleep/hibernate the sound works perfectly. Strange.

13 Posts

August 25th, 2016 15:00

I've found a temporary workaround by switching to the default Window High Definition Audio Device driver. This can be done by doing to Device Manager -> Right clicking on the Realtek audio device -> Properties -> Driver -> Update -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list...

This lets me shutdown and the boot without having to restart for audio, and this verifies that it looks like the issue is definitely the Realtek driver and not a hardware issue.

It's not ideal since it's not using Realtek's driver, but I'd rather this than having to restart each time I use my computer.

12 Posts

August 25th, 2016 17:00

I updated the 2 laptops to the latest BIOS version but the screens started to flicker on both laptops, so I decided to go back to the A06 version. I will try to change the audio driver to the Windows' default one. Any issues with the Dell Audio application after changing the driver?

12 Posts

August 25th, 2016 18:00

The weird part of this problem is that I have three additional XPS laptops, same model and specs, without this problem. We purchased a total of 5 XPS 15 (model 9550) and 2 XPS 13. One of them was replaced my Microsoft Store 3 times and another was replaced one time. One of the XPS 13 have BT problems. The BT stop/start working randomly. I think Dell is having a quality control crisis. See their Facebook fan page. It's embarrassing. 

13 Posts

August 25th, 2016 18:00

I uninstalled the Realtek driver before switching to the default Windows one (although Windows will install an older Realtek driver in the middle without Dell Audio). Since the Dell Audio application is part of the driver, I imagine that it shouldn't get loaded if you just switch to the default Windows driver without uninstalling. I think the audio might be a bit tinny with this driver, but didn't bother verifying that.

No Events found!