Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

40 Posts

March 8th, 2017 13:00

Just to add: I see that several other people have reported the same issue in respect of the 9560 and 9360 with 4k panels:

- www.reddit.com/.../

- forum.notebookreview.com/.../

The latter link above includes a great number of people reporting the issue with the 9550 too (278 posts in that thread).

There's a video of the issue posted on Reddit/Youtube here: www.youtube.com/watch

So it seems this is a long running issue dating from the 9550. The laptop is not really fit for purpose if the screen is going to keep flickering like this. I'd be grateful if Dell could advise whether a fix for this issue is impending. If not, please advise how I can go about arranging a return and refund.

1 Message

March 10th, 2017 01:00

I have the same issue with my DELL XPS 9560: 7700HQ/ 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD / 4k

It would be fine to get more Information and a solution for this Problem - thank you

40 Posts

March 11th, 2017 06:00

Whilst we continue to await Dell to respond with any solution in this thread, here's a video of the issue on the 9560: www.youtube.com/watch

40 Posts

March 11th, 2017 07:00

I encounter the issue when charging, when running from the mains fully charged and when running from the battery. In each case, I'm just using Windows for light tasks such as web browsing (I have tried Opera and Google Chrome in case either caused an issue), using MS Office 2016 and when coding using Qt. In other words, when using the Intel HD Graphics card - and all the time (irrespective of battery/mains).

March 11th, 2017 07:00

I've the same, but the question is, is it flickering while charging (Nvidia is running) or while charging (Intel is running)?

1 Message

March 12th, 2017 13:00

I am also seeing the same issue: www.youtube.com/watch

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K model with Panel Self-Refresh turned off.

March 12th, 2017 16:00

same issue also here.

Dell 9560 7700HQ / 32 GB / 1 TB drive / 4 K

40 Posts

March 13th, 2017 13:00

FYI thePavelish also posted his video on Reddit along with a screengrab from his video which shows how the screen scrolls/flashes up and over the display. See the image at the end of this post (see the bottom quarter of the image - you can see the top of the Window). And here are some further Reddit threads reporting this same issue with the 9560:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5z0448/xps_15_9560_4k_screen_flickering_black_video/

www.reddit.com/.../

102 Posts

March 13th, 2017 13:00

Adding my 9560 to the list, I should have known better expecting Dell to fix the issue the 9550 had in the 9560. Dell your engineers need sacking, employ some cats or something, chances are by blind luck they would do a better job.

16 Posts

March 13th, 2017 14:00

Did Dell carrover the same screen and same screen defect from the 9550?

102 Posts

March 14th, 2017 02:00

Yes @asdfpoui they did, in fact they used the hacked fix of removing the lower brightness levels that they had to backpedal on due to the backlash from the 9550 owners, but I guess if you are sad enough to use that on a  new laptop you have no "it used to be like this" to fall back on. They should have had a new backlight controller put in the panel in reality but this is Dell.

21 Posts

March 14th, 2017 21:00

I also have this issue with my 4K 9560. Pretty much ready to return mine and be done with it. Also notice some color banding on mine which was an issue with the 9550 as well.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2017 00:00

I received my Dell XPS 15 9560 same model with 32gb ram and 1tb (toshiba) drive. Had serious flicker issues in Chrome and in Firefox. The solution I have found to work is by going into chrome settings, clicking show advanced settings, UNCHECK the box that says 'Use hardware acceleration when available'. Seems to have fixed the problem.

40 Posts

March 15th, 2017 07:00

@Crash6076 - that's a separate issue which is fixed with the latest Intel drivers. The issue we're referring to occurs regardless of browser, etc. It just happens whatever app you might be using and even if you're not running anything.

2 Posts

March 15th, 2017 08:00

I just took delivery of a new 9560; 7700HQ / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB Drive / 4K. No matter what I do - turn all graphics acceleration off, etc. - I still get flickering. I'm returning this if this issue is not resolved very soon.

Dell, please remedy and reply.

No Events found!