Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2017 12:00

XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

I have the 4K screen 32GB RAM model of the 9560. Every now and then the screen will momentarily flash black (for maybe 0.25 - 0.5 seconds) and then go back to normal. Sometimes it'll flicker slightly before coming back - also there is sometimes some graphic black and white stripes/corruption (kind of looks like a barcode effect) at the same time.

I've updated to the newer Intel Graphics drivers (which fixed the Chrome lag for me - i.e. version 4590) but I still get the issue. I have also tried disabling Chrome from running in the background and using Opera instead. But the issue still remains. Some Googling revealed that others had the same issue with the 9550 and a setting on the Dell Wireless drivers fixed it. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Killer drivers were causing an issue - but unfortunately it does not have the same setting as the Dell Wireless drivers. I have also seen mention of disabling Hyper-v. Although I have Windows 10 Home (no Hyper-v), I've tried disabling the two Virtualisation settings in the BIOS but I'm still suffering from the issue.

I should add that it does not appear to be a mechanical issue. Moving the screen or tiling the laptop does not cause/replicate the issue. Instead, it'll happen randomly when the laptop is perfectly still.

It can go hours/days without the issue appearing and then suddenly I'll have two or three instances of it within an hour.

If anybody else has encountered the same issue and knows a fix then I'd be very grateful.

EDIT:

Having done some research, I see that this same issue has been reported numerous times in respect of the 4k panel on the 9560 and the 9360. See here:

- Anyone getting similar screen flickering from 9560? https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5xvuv0/anyone_getting_similar_screen_flickering_from_9560/
- XPS 9550 + 4K panel screen flicker thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-9550-4k-panel-screen-flicker-thread.795285/

The latter link also includes numerous reports of the same issue in respect of the 9550 (278 replies to that thread and counting). A user on Reddit posted a video on Youtube a couple of days ago showing the same issue I (and others) are suffering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=1vyBADhmgq4

Given that this issue has been present since the 9550, it would seem this is something that Dell has overlooked. The laptop isn't really fit for purpose with the screen flickering black. I'd be grateful if someone from Dell would confirm whether a fix for this issue will be released (and the timeframe). If not, I'd be grateful if you could advise how I can proceed with arranging for a return and refund.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2017 14:00

I have the same issue and it is directly tight to hyper-v. Without hyper-v, it works well. If I enable hyper-v, screen flicker. It makes Docker unusable on XPS until Dell fixes this, which is a problem for developers.

40 Posts

March 18th, 2017 04:00

Well thanks for all of your help with this one so far Dell...

Further reports from users with this same issue on the 9560:

www.reddit.com/.../

www.reddit.com/.../

40 Posts

March 19th, 2017 09:00

Seeing as the people from Dell are ignoring us, I tried reaching out to their Twitter team in case that might prompt a response. Unhelpfully they said they are "unable" to respond to us in this thread as they have a dedicated team of people at Dell who deal with requests via the Dell Support Forums. I am yet to see any one of this so-called team to bother responding to our requests for help. So much for being dedicated...

Here is the Twitter exchange: 

http://imgur.com/a/9AdXE

http://i.imgur.com/bubYgMO.png

40 Posts

March 19th, 2017 09:00

And I see someone with a 9550 is reporting this same issue: en.community.dell.com/.../20007992

40 Posts

March 19th, 2017 15:00

And another report: www.reddit.com/.../

2 Posts

March 19th, 2017 17:00

Same boat...Puck up 2 of them for a client,  They will have a specific configuration with Windows 10 Enterprise...  One has already been nuked,Enterprise Installed and the (most current stable) drivers installed clean from scratch.

The other is still running the out of box build, but has been fully updated (OS, Apps, Drivers...).

They both behave the exact same way... The aforementioned screen flicker... One does is every few hours or so... The other may be a tad more frequent,

Either way it is not acceptable,,,  There is no way I am handing off a product to a client that is anything less than perfect,

2 Posts

March 19th, 2017 19:00

Exact same issue here...

Purchased 2 units for a client.  They will be running a specific set of applications on Windows 10 Enterprise.  One has already been nuked, Enterprise installed & Updated, All current stable drivers manually installed form scratch.  No additional software or bloat installed.

The other unit is still running the out of box software build. The OS, Applications and drivers have been update.

Both units flicker seemingly random.  Sometimes its once in several hours or repeatedly in seconds... One system does seem slightly more prone to doing it more frequently.

March 20th, 2017 12:00

Count me in. 9560 4k/16gb/512 gb. i am going to return the laptop. Its not worth to tolerate these issues after spending hard earned 2000$. Dell customer service is horrible. It seems like they do not care about customers. well done DELL.

2 Posts

March 20th, 2017 17:00

After an hour on the phone with tech support updating things, testing things, etc., the issue remains. I've decided to get a replacement. If the next one is bad I'll move on. This said, I hope I'll get a unit that is OK as I still believe this is likely the best 15" around at the moment. Fingers crossed...

40 Posts

March 21st, 2017 14:00

@JBW69 - Given the sheer volume of users reporting this issue, I suspect it is an underlying issue with drivers/BIOS. I hope I'm wrong for your sake however.

Unfortunately it seems Dell are just ignoring our requests for help in this thread. Presumably because they have no solution to this issue (perhaps building small/thin Macbook Pro-style laptops are beyind Dell's skills/expertise). In the meantime, I'm going to continue documenting every mention of this from the other main forums on Dell. Maybe that'll shame Dell into responding - or perhaps they'll choose to lock this thread on the basis they have not wish to help any of us... Dell's Twitter team someone will respond here soon but I'm not holding my breath:

http://i.imgur.com/dMcrqBg.png

Latest reports of this issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/60m9c8/dell_xps15_9560_screen_flicker_was_it_resolved/

www.reddit.com/.../

www.reddit.com/.../

2 Posts

March 21st, 2017 17:00

I am also experiencing the same flicker, and black/white lines issue.

Brand new 9560, 7700HQ / 16 GB RAM / 512 SSD / 4K

March 21st, 2017 21:00

I tweeted about this issue and @dellcares asked to send direct message.  I gave them this forum link and youtube video (www.youtube.com/watch Here is my conversation . I don't know how to attach images as other do so I am copying my conversation here

Me : I have random flickering and screen freezing issue. I contacted dell and asked for help and they told that they are software issues and they are not cover in my current warranty support. They wanted me to buy 400$ software warranty to look into those issues. how ridiculous is that. Its $2000 laptop for gods sack and these are all driver issues making me crazy. look at the reddit and see how many people are reporting many issues? most of them are already occurred in 9550 and why they are not sorted out and new model was released with same bugs? People are going crazy after buying your dell xps model laptop and after hearing all the horror stories with their xps laptop it makes me nerves to keep the laptop. where was the quality control for this model?

@DellCares:With regards to the flickering issue reported on the machine, we'll share the links to our product engineering team to have this investigated & to come up with a fix at the earliest.

not sure if they actually shared this forum link and if they are working on it. Now I understand the difference between apple and other company and why they are top of the list even though they adopt latest tech much later in their products.

40 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 16:00

I bet you they do nothing. Not a single one of them has responded to this thread since I posted it 15 days ago.

More reports of the 9560 flicker issue: en.community.dell.com/.../20008170

March 24th, 2017 00:00

Hi cc84,

I have called a few times with Dell support. They created a case for me. They will replace my motherboard asap. I do not know if it will fix this issue.

Regards

Antonio

40 Posts

March 26th, 2017 03:00

Intel has released a new HD Graphics 630 video driver (v4627) here: downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

However, this hasn't resolved the flicker for me. I see others are reporting on Reddit that the above new drivers have not resolved the issue for them either: www.reddit.com/.../

Again, thanks for all of your help with this Dell. I posted this request for support on your forums nearly three weeks ago. Despite a number of users posting in this forum here and many others posting in the links I've quoted throughout this thread, you have chosen to simply ignore us. This laptop cost ~£2,000 and I think it would be reasonable for you to offer some help rather than just ignore your customers.

No Events found!