3 Silver

RE: XPS 9560 - Screen flicker

Something interesting I noticed. Not a clear cut solution but maybe it will help dell or the tech savvys among you:

- The flickering is suppressed completely as long as a second display is connected

- Even if the second display is physically switched off! (As long as it is recognized as connected and activated in the settings of the intel HD 630)

- Cloning or extending displays is not important. In both cases, not a single flicker.

I noticed that after being prompted from the dell support to control it. I used the PC over 40 hours in 3 days and there was not a single flicker as long the HDMI cable was plugged in AND the second display activated in the Intel HD630 settings (although physically it could be switched off).

- After plugging off the HDMI cable or deactivating the second display in the settings the flickering begun again.

Not applicable

Add me to the list.  ***!  I buy the "best" and my screen flickers and flashes a barcode ***.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Is there any signs of cooperation btwn Dell and Intel engineers for finding the solution for flickers? I see that the previous Intel HD 530 drivers attempted to eliminate flickering in one of the changelogs. It seems to be a widespread problem between the 4k models only, so it the problem/solution could lie in those keywords.

0 Kudos
3 Silver

@Wingpin Dell support only told me that the problem is known and they are working on it. No idea if intel is already involved.

Some more flickering instances I captured myself

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAkRShs3Avy86ZpUJQrlyqwFMvkIZgMTM

Regards

0 Kudos

Hey cc84. I'm on the XPS Product Group team. We'd like to look at your system and try to replicate what you're seeing. Can you e-mail me at luke_presley@dell.com?

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

[duplicate removed]

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

9560 7700HQ /32 GB RAM / 1TB /4K user here.

Received this laptop around 2/28. Use it between 8-10 hours daily.

I started experiencing the flickering and barcode issue last Thursday, 4/13. It happened twice during the day in the lower left corner of the screen. Was plugged into outlet, screen at full brightness. It was NOT connected to the TB-16.

The only changes to the system were upgrading the BIOS, chipset, thunderbolt, and video drivers from Dell. I did this after receiving the TB-16 about two weeks ago.

I've contacted Dell support last week and did not get very far after spending a few hours with them. They asked to update the drivers from nvidia and Intel directly, and run the on-board diagnostic test (Fn key during POST).

I would not expect this on a premium laptop like this.

UPDATE

Spoke with dell support today. They want to send a technician out to replace the entire LCD screen, cable, and video card. I'm uncomfortable going down this route until they find out the exact cause.

Has anyone else had their screen replaced?

0 Kudos
3 Silver

Luke - I have emailed you. Note that I'm not comfortable with people remotely logging into my system as I have heard far too many horror stories about Dell.

Dell 9560: 7700HQ / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB Drive / 4k screen with flicker and browser/Excel stutter lag / wifi with regular signal loss

0 Kudos
3 Silver

I think my reply above makes this approach very questionable. I am quoting:

"- The flickering is suppressed completely as long as a second display is connected

- Even if the second display is physically switched off! (As long as it is recognized as connected and activated in the settings of the intel HD 630)

- Cloning or extending displays is not important. In both cases, not a single flicker.

I noticed that after being prompted from the dell support to control it. I used the PC over 40 hours in 3 days and there was not a single flicker as long the HDMI cable was plugged in AND the second display activated in the Intel HD630 settings (although physically it could be switched off).

- After plugging off the HDMI cable or deactivating the second display in the settings the flickering begun again."

I don't see how a defect LCD panel or cable would be fixed with an HDMI cable plugged in........

Can't speak for the graphics card though.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I also have to agree that it seems to stop when using an external screen or projector.  I've been using my 9560/4K for 8-10 hours daily for work (and personal) and I don't notice the screen flicker when using a projector in a meeting, or a second monitor/tv in my office, or also when in a fullscreen game at home.

Definitely seems like an HD 630 issue.

Been back and forth with Dell support resolving a few different driver issues, including this one and so far the screen flicker is the only issue left unresolved by any recommended fix so far.

0 Kudos