Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 27th, 2017 01:00

XPS 9560 new BIOS causes fans to go full speed.

Not sure how best to describe this, also confirmed by others who have updated to BIOS 1.1.3

since installing the BIOS update the fans will rev to full at various times, rebooting is one time, they are forced to 100% with no ramp up, this causes a high pitched noise as the fans cannot cope with being revved up so fast.

When the fans kick in they will not kick in at 2500rpm (minimum), they will ramp up about 1000rpm faster then settle down.

This has never happened in the time I have owned a 9550 and 9560 until this new BIOS update.

I have reset the BIOS to defaults a few times, reflashed the update and it still does it.

Changing Dell power command doesn't help either.

• 

16.7K Posts

March 1st, 2017 08:00

GoNz0,

You can run more thorough tests from the Dell Support page where you will have the following options:

◦Complete - The full system diagnostic analyzes your entire system to identify issues involving hardware components, software and overall performance. Dell PC Diagnostics will attempt to resolve common issues. The full system diagnostic also includes an analyzer that checks for blue screen issues noticed at system startup and suggests preventative actions.

◦Hardware - The hardware diagnostic tool helps analyze your hardware and identify issues that may be affecting performance. Dell PC Diagnostics will attempt to resolve common issues automatically. You may choose which specific tests to run and you can choose multiple tests by holding down the CTRL key and clicking on the tests you want.

◦Software - If you suspect you have software issues which may be causing a problem, try running a test from the diagnostic selection shown.

To Run the Diagnostics online. Click the link below.

Support.dell

102 Posts

March 1st, 2017 08:00

Of course it passes the tests as the fans work, that's all it checks for. It does this action restarting from the BIOS as well so that rules out software.

BIOS has been reset several times

The new BIOS introduced this issue so god only knows what the developers have done this time after the utter car crash of XPS 9550 BIOS releases.

Everyone on the notebookreview forum thread dedicated to the 9560 has noticed this BIOS bug in the new release so please pass the information back to the BIOS team and let them know they messed up another one.

So BIOS 1.1.3 has introduced a bug causing the fans to ramp up to full speed if they are running and the laptop is restarted, this only lasts a few seconds but the fact it just tries to spin them to 5000rpm with no ramp up causes a screech that will no doubt either blow the fans or the fan controller if it is allowed to carry on.

they also surge when spinning up instead of simply running up to speed like they have done on previous BIOS releases for the 9560 and every BIOS for the 9550 that this is based on.

1 Message

March 2nd, 2017 09:00

Also happens to my 9560.

1 Message

March 2nd, 2017 09:00

I noticed the same issue on my 9560

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 11:00

I am also seeing this on my 9560. vI am also seeing this on my 9560.I am also seeing this on my 9560.I am also seeing this on my 9560.I am also seeing this on my 9560.I am also seeing this on my 9560.I am also seeing this on my 9560.

8 Posts

I also see this behavior with the new BIOS.

8 Posts

8 Posts

I am also seeing this on my 9560.

8 Posts

Same here on my 9560.

8 Posts

Same here on my 9560.

8 Posts

A forum reply exists that is a duplicate of this reply.

40 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 12:00

I have been encountering the same issue ever since I updated my BIOS to the latest version.

40 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 14:00

Also happens on my 9560 since I updated to the latest BIOS

1 Message

March 12th, 2017 16:00

I am experience the same thing with Ubunt 16.04 on the Dell Precision 5520. Also I've noticed (since the BIOS update) that when the fans run at intermediate speed during semi-arduous tasks (running servers etc) they lock in at that speed and never reduce back down.  They seem to get stuck as 3200 rpm. Not terribly loud but certainly annoying when I switch back to causal browsing and my fans are stuck as a somewhat noisy level. C'mon DELL!

3 Posts

March 24th, 2017 05:00

Unfortunately: usual answer from support we can hear ...

If you read carefully through the problem description - you'll probably figure out that the problem cant be identified by any software test solution ... FAN working properly all the time but some restart conditions. It goes loud for about half second + crazy high-frequency coil whine which some people identifies as "scratching"...

No Events found!