Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2011 02:00

XPS L501X - Can't use HDMI to connect to external display. why?

Hi,

I've got a new XPS 15 L501X, with the NVidia GT 435M. When I plug-in an HDMI cable which is connected to a Samsung display (B2230), It recognizes it, allows to extend my display to it - but nothing appears on the display. It's like the signal is not getting to the external display, but I know it does - because the XPS does recognize the display.

Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks!

1 Message

March 9th, 2011 04:00

I am facing the same problem with my XPS15 L501X and Sony Bravia LCD. Does anybody have a solution to this?

Thanks,
Ace

12 Posts

March 27th, 2011 14:00

I have the same problem with a Sony Bravia KDL42EX500 - absolutely no display on the TV, but the L501X with GT420M is detecting the TV.

Does the HDMI output run off the integrated display card, or the GT420?

3.6K Posts

March 27th, 2011 23:00

Change the laptop settings to "Extend the desktop" instead of "Duplicate the desktop".Hold down the windows key + P to bring up the options.

1 Message

April 1st, 2011 13:00

I just purchased the xps17 and it has the same issue with duplicating the desktop to an external monitor using the laptop HDMI to monitor HDMI connections. 

While extending the desktop or putting the desktop on the external monitor only is easily managed (Windows key +P), the option to duplicate the desktop via the HDMI to HDMI connection is not possible as it is not even a selectable option.  Oddly, it is strange the monitor attached via the HDMI connection to the laptop is actually identified as a connection on the configuration screen, one just can't configure it as an option to duplicate the desktop to (meaning it is "grayed" out).

It gets even more strange....

During my two hour tech support call this morning about this to Dell  I was told the following:

"The video card does not support a HDMI to HDMI desktop duplication (i.e., cloning)" and then later...."this disabling of functioin is related to usage and copy protection rights and ALL video cards have this same limitation with respect to duplicating the desktop via a HDMI to HDMI connection."  The work-a-round that Dell then suggested was to get an HDMI-to-mini-display-adapter (mini DVI) and use THAT port on the laptop when duplicating the desktop instead of the HDMI connection!

I've done a little research on the mini DVI connections....some are apparently just video capable, while others are video + sound.  So if you get an adapter, you have to make sure the adapter is the flavor that supports sound?  This also assumes the mini DVI port on the laptop itself is also sound capable, which I have not confirmed.

So there we have it.  Great new technology HDMI, that I'm told by Dell is designed (on purpose) to be crippled on delivery and in order to duplicate the desktop on a brand new machine, I've got to go out and research and buy an adapter to the old technology.

The whole thing seems so wildly illogical to me that it might be true.  Or Dell made a major screw up with the video cards they are putting in their laptops.  Anybody know for sure?

By the way, we also went and downloaded the newest Nvidia Display driver, dated 3/27/11, just in case.  Installing it did nothing to solve this issue.

Wha

A closer inspectioni

3.6K Posts

April 1st, 2011 20:00

Thanks for the heads up i will update my notes on that one.Ahhh,Dells madness continues??

1 Message

August 21st, 2011 13:00

I still have the same problem with my XPS15 L501x and GT420M. Also with the newest drivers. No connection possible with my Philips TV 37PFL7605.

I really can not believe it that it is not possible with this Dell Laptop! What the hell is this Dell?!?

No one any idea or newer information about this problem?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 22nd, 2011 10:00

Mustique

Here is a good link on troubleshooting issues with connecting external monitors. The section on dual monitors may prove to be of help.

http://dell.to/p7vGHR

I know there was a problem with the original video drivers with using HDMI connections, that should be corrected with the new drivers located from the following link. When installing the latest driver, be sure to completely remove the original driver first. Go into programs and features (add / remove programs) in control panel and uninstall the Nvidia software located there before installing the drivers from the website.

support.dell.com/.../download.aspx

The only other thing that I can suggest is verify that the HDMI cables and TV works with other systems, try to verify if the problem follows the notebook, the cables or the TV.

TB

1 Message

August 28th, 2011 13:00

This is my first Dell, and I have to say that I am bummed and disappointed! First, I could not get this laptop to connect with my LCD projector (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739736-REG/Panasonic_PT_LB2U_PT_LB2U_XGA_LCD_Projector.html). Now, I just like everyone else - I cannot make an HDMI to HDMI connection............ I tried two different sets of cables. I also re-installed my Nvidia drivers and still nothing! I think this may be my first and only Dell. We are going to have to replace our Toshiba Notebook and this experience will most definitely will weight into that decision!

I am going to Dell one more opportunity to resolve these issues.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 29th, 2011 08:00

hpruden

I am sorry to read that you are having problems.  One thing to try when connecting any type of TV to a system is to make sure that both TV and computer are turned off.  Hook up the cable connections.  Turn on the PC and then turn on the TV. Configure the TV so that it will display the correct HDMI port.

If you continue to have problems please reply with what brand and make computer do you have and what is the brand and make of TV that you are using. I know that you have tried two different sets of HDMI cable which is a great troubleshooting step. Please also let us know if you tested the TV work with your Toshiba or other notebook to verify that it work with other computers?  If possible please include the link that you used to update the video drivers on the notebook.

Thanks

TB

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2011 12:00

well i have same problem but i have video card GT435M  Q840 i try new video drive nothing try mini hdmi samething dosent work any thing new to try

1 Message

November 20th, 2011 14:00

I am having the same problems, the computer recognizes it (only after leaving the computer on and then turning on the tv with the cables and hitting enter to get away from the black screen) but the tv says NO SIGNAL  I tried using all 4 hdmi ports (port 1 says (ARC in parenthesis)) The computer recognizes its a toshiba but the tv still says no signal.  I have a Dell XPS L501X windows 7 and a Toshiba 46SL417U LEDTV.  Please help with anything to try.  I have shut both off and tried that as well but still no signal on the tv.

1 Message

January 9th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

I was having the same problem (or rather - still having the same problem with my XPS 502x)

I first tried the HDMI to VGA cable and it work on certain monitors but not on other. I then went out to buy the Mini display port to VGA cable (like for the MAC's). This only allowed me to connect to one projector in our office (SANSUI) but I could not connect to our DELL projector. It does not matter what I do, cloned, extended anything, it would not connect. I think some of the conflict related to Optimus as the Display properties kept asking me to select the display option I wanted. Nvidia indicated that two monitors are identified but the projector is showing "no signal". The Intel display is showing me the same thing.

Reading more on this, it seemed like it could relate to an EDID problem and that one solution could be another adaptor. I am going to try this and will report back. Here is a good link on this exact problem. www.irongeek.com/i.php

My main concern is that I have bought 7 of these for our office. All of them are exactly the same and not a single one of them will connect to the DELL projector.

78 Posts

March 9th, 2012 13:00

1st use fn+f1 to change display to pc only. 2nd connect external display via hdmi. 3rd goto Nvidia control panel and check off (tick) all adapters you want to use (this will be both your video cards). 4th right click on display 1 and choose duplicate with 2 use 1 as source. click apply. You will need to do this each time you reboot though but at least it works.

1 Message

June 12th, 2012 16:00

-Tried that but no go still. Can hear the sounds but no video, with my Panasonic TV. Any other input that might work?

1 Message

September 14th, 2012 14:00

I have been talking to dell support about this problem for some time. Has anyone figured out a solution for this?

Dell has replaced the motherboard twice already.

John

No Events found!