Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2011 02:00

XPS L501X - Can't use HDMI to connect to external display. why?

Hi,

I've got a new XPS 15 L501X, with the NVidia GT 435M. When I plug-in an HDMI cable which is connected to a Samsung display (B2230), It recognizes it, allows to extend my display to it - but nothing appears on the display. It's like the signal is not getting to the external display, but I know it does - because the XPS does recognize the display.

Any ideas why this is so?

Thanks!

September 14th, 2012 18:00

try the mini display port, might be surprised.. going to need a mini display port to hdmi, never should of been like this but that's what worked for me.

November 28th, 2012 10:00

well i have the same problem that everyone, but at first time it worked but one day it stoped. I try the tv, a dell monitor and a proyector but nothing

1 Message

February 7th, 2014 20:00

Come on Dell support.. couldn't you do a better job?

So many people have issues with connecting their laptops to an HDMI monitor, and no real answers?

For what it's worth, after wasting a few hours on this issue I managed to get the thing to work.  It involved going to Device Manager (just open Windows and search for it), then going to Display adapters -> NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M, right click that then select "Enable"

Voila.. my HDMI connected ASUS monitor came alive as an extended desktop.

Before that, I tried installing then uninstalling NVIDIA's display driver 250MB bloatware which just gave me cryptic error messages.   Before that, I tried installing a Windows update for NVIDIA drivers and that didn't go through cleanly (Windows update error, again cryptic).   I hope I didn't leave problematic garbage on my system by doing this.  If Dell did it's job, I wouldn't have needed to muck around with non-OEM drivers.

I bothered to create an account and post this because I thought it might spare someone their time, hopefully.  If this helps you, please say so and hopefully the next person might find this solution more easily.   I saw probably a dozen different threads on this issue and actually tried to order an Mini Display port to HDMI but accidentally got a different cable (sigh)... but if the above doesn't work, that was the other option I would have tried.

No Events found!