Not applicable

Re: XPS L501X - Can't use HDMI to connect to external display. why?

well i have same problem but i have video card GT435M  Q840 i try new video drive nothing try mini hdmi samething dosent work any thing new to try

0 Kudos
jswardyn
1 Copper

I am having the same problems, the computer recognizes it (only after leaving the computer on and then turning on the tv with the cables and hitting enter to get away from the black screen) but the tv says NO SIGNAL  I tried using all 4 hdmi ports (port 1 says (ARC in parenthesis)) The computer recognizes its a toshiba but the tv still says no signal.  I have a Dell XPS L501X windows 7 and a Toshiba 46SL417U LEDTV.  Please help with anything to try.  I have shut both off and tried that as well but still no signal on the tv.
0 Kudos
caponeil
1 Copper

Hi,

I was having the same problem (or rather - still having the same problem with my XPS 502x)

I first tried the HDMI to VGA cable and it work on certain monitors but not on other. I then went out to buy the Mini display port to VGA cable (like for the MAC's). This only allowed me to connect to one projector in our office (SANSUI) but I could not connect to our DELL projector. It does not matter what I do, cloned, extended anything, it would not connect. I think some of the conflict related to Optimus as the Display properties kept asking me to select the display option I wanted. Nvidia indicated that two monitors are identified but the projector is showing "no signal". The Intel display is showing me the same thing.

Reading more on this, it seemed like it could relate to an EDID problem and that one solution could be another adaptor. I am going to try this and will report back. Here is a good link on this exact problem. www.irongeek.com/i.php

My main concern is that I have bought 7 of these for our office. All of them are exactly the same and not a single one of them will connect to the DELL projector.

unununium
2 Iron

1st use fn+f1 to change display to pc only. 2nd connect external display via hdmi. 3rd goto Nvidia control panel and check off (tick) all adapters you want to use (this will be both your video cards). 4th right click on display 1 and choose duplicate with 2 use 1 as source. click apply. You will need to do this each time you reboot though but at least it works.

0 Kudos
Tiggia
1 Copper

-Tried that but no go still. Can hear the sounds but no video, with my Panasonic TV. Any other input that might work?

0 Kudos
john_xps_user
1 Copper

I have been talking to dell support about this problem for some time. Has anyone figured out a solution for this?

Dell has replaced the motherboard twice already.

John

0 Kudos

try the mini display port, might be surprised.. going to need a mini display port to hdmi, never should of been like this but that's what worked for me.

0 Kudos

well i have the same problem that everyone, but at first time it worked but one day it stoped. I try the tv, a dell monitor and a proyector but nothing

0 Kudos
Omar Tech
1 Copper

RE: XPS L501X - Can't use HDMI to connect to external display. why?

Come on Dell support.. couldn't you do a better job?

So many people have issues with connecting their laptops to an HDMI monitor, and no real answers?

For what it's worth, after wasting a few hours on this issue I managed to get the thing to work.  It involved going to Device Manager (just open Windows and search for it), then going to Display adapters -> NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M, right click that then select "Enable"

Voila.. my HDMI connected ASUS monitor came alive as an extended desktop.

Before that, I tried installing then uninstalling NVIDIA's display driver 250MB bloatware which just gave me cryptic error messages.   Before that, I tried installing a Windows update for NVIDIA drivers and that didn't go through cleanly (Windows update error, again cryptic).   I hope I didn't leave problematic garbage on my system by doing this.  If Dell did it's job, I wouldn't have needed to muck around with non-OEM drivers.

I bothered to create an account and post this because I thought it might spare someone their time, hopefully.  If this helps you, please say so and hopefully the next person might find this solution more easily.   I saw probably a dozen different threads on this issue and actually tried to order an Mini Display port to HDMI but accidentally got a different cable (sigh)... but if the above doesn't work, that was the other option I would have tried.

0 Kudos