Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2013 00:00

XPS L502X COLD FREEZES

I own a xps l502x laptop for over a near now. Whenever I try to run a application on NVidia GeForce graphics(gt 540m), the system after a  minute or two, cold freezes with a annoying buzzing sound. I did several tests  like memtest86, prime95 cpu and mem test, furmark test for GPU and all the tests passed.

Then I read on another forum about running tests with PC Doctor but the test couldn't complete as the system again cold freezed. All I could do was use the power on/off button. 

I googled about it. I noticed that there are a lot of people with the same specs which are facing this problem and have no solution except for a custom bios which reduces voltages for the GPU or underclock the gpu itself. But I don't want to do this as this will reduce gpu performance

Now I am getting really frustrated with this problem. I paid 70k  for this laptop and I expect more out of it.

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP.

my system specs:

Windows 7 64 bit.

intel 2670qm processor

NVidia GeForce gt540m with optimus

intel hd 3000

8 gb ram

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 6th, 2013 02:00

Hi razr7,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let me know the findings.

52 Posts

November 6th, 2013 22:00

Ok . will do this today itself n post back the results.

52 Posts

November 6th, 2013 23:00

I could'nt run the ePSA test as the bios doesnt have it. I tried to run it from the system Device Drivers CD but found out that the BDROM is not functioning.
The system ran the PSA test n passed on the complete thorough test as well.

What to do now ?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 8th, 2013 02:00

Hi razr7,

I would suggest you to boot the system up in Safemode with networking mode (F8 during startup) and check the system functionality.

Also, please run the CPU Stress test on the system in the safemode using the steps below.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Let's diagnose your issue’.

3.       Select ‘CPU Stress’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

5.       Let me know if the results.

52 Posts

November 8th, 2013 06:00

" http: // pic paste. com/ test- Kdv3j6Ft.jpg "

remove spaces please.

what to do now ???????

52 Posts

November 8th, 2013 06:00

Cant paste the picture in here as the max upload limit is 64 kb.

it passed the cpu stress test.

heres a link to the screenshot of the test window:

http://picpaste.com/test-Kdv3j6Ft.jpg

wat to do know ??

52 Posts

November 9th, 2013 23:00

I'm really expecting an answer mr dell.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 12th, 2013 09:00

Hi razr7,

I would suggest you to restore the system to factor state and check for issue resolution.Restoring the system to factory state will erase all your personal data. Please follow the steps mentioned below for performing the pc restore on a Windows 7 computer.

1. Back up all the data from the computer before proceeding to next steps.
  2. Unplug all the devices including your printer, camera and memory stick.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Press the "F8" key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do not stop until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  5. Press the down arrow and choose "Repair your computer." Hit "Enter."
  6. Select the keyboard layout "US" from the drop-down menu and click "OK."
  7. Log into your account as an administrator. Type in your password. Click "OK."
  8. Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" at the bottom of the options.
  9. Click "Next" in the window that opens.
  10. Click to check the box next to "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" to confirm and click "Next." This will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete. Click "Finish" when the process is complete to restart your computer.

Please let me know if this helps.

52 Posts

November 13th, 2013 08:00

Ty for the info and help Ravi Ch.

I already did that twice but this didn't fixed anything. The same system freeze happens. Whenever I play a game on Intel graphics, there is no feeze but as soon as I turn to Nvidia, the sytem freezes within game in just 2 - 3 minutes. I ran several tests too, as I mentioned in my first post. The system passes all the tests then what could be the issue ?? m really frustrated.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 15th, 2013 04:00

Hi razr7,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers on the system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.                           

1. Click on Start button.

2. In the search box type, devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

3. Select the both graphics card device under display adapters in the device manager and right click on it.

4. Now select properties.

5. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

6. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

7. You want to delete the driver click OK.

8. After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Download the video card drivers from the links below. Please download Intel drivers first and install it, restart the system and then install the Nvidia drivers for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/1eUq9K0

http://dell.to/HUruT5

52 Posts

November 15th, 2013 06:00

Dear Ravi CH, thank you for providing me with all the information but the issue is not resolved yet.

What all I've done till date:

1. I ran MEMTEST+ to know any Ram errors  but none found.

2. I ran PRIME95 "CPU" BURN in TEST but no errors.

3. I ran FURMARK "GPU" burn IN test but no errors. even the GPU reached only 85 degrees Celsius.

4. I ran OCCT, ran CPU stress, GPU stress n nothing still.

5. I checked by HDD for errors, none reported.

6. I replaced my CHARGING ADAPTER but did not helped me.

5. After this, I reinstalled drivers for My GeForce gt540m through the control panel as you stated.

6. After I did 5th step, again my system freezed when I played game. I ran same test again & no error in tests. Only Feezes when I play games and that too within two to three minutes.

7. After this, I reinstalled my OS. ( A clean Install)

8. Downloaded drivers from Dell Website and installed them.

9. FREZZES AGAIN when I try to play a game. The freeze occurs and a LOOPING DISTORTED sound comes all way along.

10. Ran all tests AGAIN, still NO ERROR reported by any test.

I viewed my event log, and found several errors reporting " nvlddmkm.sys reported an error " i.e. Display Driver stopped responding and recovered.

I also ran the PC doctor test you asked me to as well as the test when windows boots.

NOW TELL ME WHAT IS THE PROBLEM. THIS PROBLEM IS VERY COMMON AS I GOOGLED ABOUT IT AND FOUND THAT ABOUT 90 of 100 HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT ?? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE ??????

I think that The GPU is somehow faulty. MAYBE ITS THE DEFECTIVE GPU FROM NVIDIA AS WELL WHICH DELL DID NOT CARED ABOUT. ALSO FAULTY INTEL 2nd gen I7 CPU.

really disappointed with DELL. bought this laptop for 70,000 INR, and it didn't even lasted 2 years. Also its MB was replaced, speakers, display when it was in WARRANTY. I think I GOT a LEMON in the first place !

really pissed at you dell guys. moreover, YOU TAKE SO MUCH TIME TO REPLY BACK .

November 15th, 2013 18:00

dear ravi ch, i am also facing these same problem... i bought this laptop around feb,2012. within 4 mnths hdd showed error and dell replaced it. then just after the warranty expired, it showed errors in hdd again. called up dell, told hdd have to be replaced, 7000INR will be needed... i mean how can a 750gb hdd cost 7000??? anyways i changed my hdd, installed a new 4 gb ram.

my specs: i5 2nd gen, 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, nvidia 540m, intel hd3000.

now can u please tell me whats causing this freezing problem??? in fact if i play my game without a charger, nothing happens, game runs fine... plug in the charger all hail breaks loose... solve this problem to save the no. of customers.  this as my last dell product. and whoever will ask me what brand to buy, i will say any except DELL... its overpriced and useless junk!!!

it will be best for dell to try to solve this problem. 90% people with xps l502x are facing this problem... still dell gives one lame solution: " Uninstall and reinstall drivers " do u guys think laptop users are a bunch of idiots or what???

52 Posts

November 17th, 2013 01:00

WHERE ARE YOU MR. DELL ?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 17th, 2013 17:00

Hi razr7,

I see that you have performed most of the troubleshooting steps on the system. I would suggest you to clean install the operating system by following the steps in the link below and also install the drivers in the correct order by following the steps.

http://dell.to/18hPJiU

52 Posts

November 17th, 2013 18:00

No Events found!