8 Krypton

XPS L502X COLD FREEZES

I own a xps l502x laptop for over a near now. Whenever I try to run a application on NVidia GeForce graphics(gt 540m), the system after a  minute or two, cold freezes with a annoying buzzing sound. I did several tests  like memtest86, prime95 cpu and mem test, furmark test for GPU and all the tests passed.

Then I read on another forum about running tests with PC Doctor but the test couldn't complete as the system again cold freezed. All I could do was use the power on/off button. 

I googled about it. I noticed that there are a lot of people with the same specs which are facing this problem and have no solution except for a custom bios which reduces voltages for the GPU or underclock the gpu itself. But I don't want to do this as this will reduce gpu performance

Now I am getting really frustrated with this problem. I paid 70k  for this laptop and I expect more out of it.

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP.

my system specs:

Windows 7 64 bit.

intel 2670qm processor

NVidia GeForce gt540m with optimus

intel hd 3000

8 gb ram

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies

RE: XPS L502X COLD FREEZES

Hi razr7,

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let me know the findings.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Ok . will do this today itself n post back the results.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

I could'nt run the ePSA test as the bios doesnt have it. I tried to run it from the system Device Drivers CD but found out that the BDROM is not functioning.
The system ran the PSA test n passed on the complete thorough test as well.

What to do now ?

0 Kudos

Hi razr7,

I would suggest you to boot the system up in Safemode with networking mode (F8 during startup) and check the system functionality.

Also, please run the CPU Stress test on the system in the safemode using the steps below.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Let's diagnose your issue’.

3.       Select ‘CPU Stress’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

5.       Let me know if the results.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Cant paste the picture in here as the max upload limit is 64 kb.

it passed the cpu stress test.

heres a link to the screenshot of the test window:

http://picpaste.com/test-Kdv3j6Ft.jpg

wat to do know ??

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

" http: // pic paste. com/ test- Kdv3j6Ft.jpg "

remove spaces please.

what to do now ???????

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I'm really expecting an answer mr dell.

0 Kudos

Hi razr7,

I would suggest you to restore the system to factor state and check for issue resolution.Restoring the system to factory state will erase all your personal data. Please follow the steps mentioned below for performing the pc restore on a Windows 7 computer.

1. Back up all the data from the computer before proceeding to next steps.
  2. Unplug all the devices including your printer, camera and memory stick.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Press the "F8" key repeatedly as soon as you see the Dell logo. Do not stop until you see the Advanced Boot Options screen.
  5. Press the down arrow and choose "Repair your computer." Hit "Enter."
  6. Select the keyboard layout "US" from the drop-down menu and click "OK."
  7. Log into your account as an administrator. Type in your password. Click "OK."
  8. Click "Dell Factory Image Restore" at the bottom of the options.
  9. Click "Next" in the window that opens.
  10. Click to check the box next to "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" to confirm and click "Next." This will generate an operation that will take about 45 minutes to complete. Click "Finish" when the process is complete to restart your computer.

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Ty for the info and help Ravi Ch.

I already did that twice but this didn't fixed anything. The same system freeze happens. Whenever I play a game on Intel graphics, there is no feeze but as soon as I turn to Nvidia, the sytem freezes within game in just 2 - 3 minutes. I ran several tests too, as I mentioned in my first post. The system passes all the tests then what could be the issue ?? m really frustrated.

0 Kudos