Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2014 22:00

XPS L502X Laptop fan not working

Ok, here's my problem. The fan is not running. A few days ago my wife was letting my daughter mess with my computer (opening it barely to turn on the shuts it, constantly) Found out a few hours later that my laptop was hot hot hot and running VERY slow. I shut it down, let it cool, then try to turn it back on to discover the fan was not running and my computer takes 45 min to an hour to turn on and the fan still won't kick on. I  went ahead and go another fan and got into my machine and still nothing. Takes FOREVER to turn and and gets really hot. Also, when the computer does decide to finally come on, I almost can't do anything because it takes 5 - 10 min for anything to run. If there's a solution (other than motherboard replacement or new computer) please let me know.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 12th, 2014 06:00

If you can get the Dell diagnostics to run (F12 at powerup), you can test the fan.  If not, the place to start would be with a replacement fan.

March 12th, 2014 09:00

Got a new fan in there as of last night, now the damn thing takes about 30 min to boot...or longer. Any idea on that one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 12th, 2014 09:00

If the system has been overheating for any period of time, a bad hard drive is likely. Run an extended hard drive diagnostic.

No Events found!