Highlighted
vnt87
1 Copper

XPS L502X: possible to use without the LCD screen attached?

Ok here's the thing, I have an old Dell XPS L502X with badly broken hinges, result from the numerous times my sister dropped the poor thing. Currently it's not possible to pull up the LCD screen without cracking the case.

So, my idea is to remove the LCD completely and attach the laptop base (without the screen) to an external screen and use it like a desktop. So I followed the service manual and removed the screen from the motherboard. The problem is that the laptop POST includes checking the LCD, so without the screen attached, it won't boot to Windows, instead it presents me with the dreadful 8-beep error (LCD failure). Re-attaching the screen and it boots just fine.

So my question is, is there any trick I could use to make the laptop boot without the original screen attached to it? I dug through every option in the BIOS but there's just no option to disable LCD checking during POST. So any help is greatly appreciated.

2 Replies
ieee488
5 Rhenium

RE: XPS L502X: possible to use without the LCD screen attached?

Someone asked this before.

The answer is NO.

0 Kudos
vnt87
1 Copper

RE: XPS L502X: possible to use without the LCD screen attached?

Aww man, that ***. Although I wasn't expecting much to begin with, it's a Dell after all.

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Kudos