Laptops General - Read Only

2 Bronze

(XPS L701X) Battery not charging, computer shuts down instantly if unplugged

My battery (which I bought from a third party store just over a month ago, my computer is 18 months old) is experiencing some issues; it's not charging. The computer runs normally when attached to the AC Adapter (which is Dell's and was purchased directly from Dell 6 months ago, and works perfectly well on other computers), but instantly shuts down when unplugged, saying the power ran out. When plugged in, the battery icon and the LED meter both say the battery has 47% power (that number has risen from 42% in three days).

Replies (5)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Is your battery a Dell branded? Have you tried updating the BIOS of your computer. If not, here is the link ;

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R309735&FileId...

Download file and run, make sure the ac adapter and battery is connected. If no go, possible motherboard issue, since its not giving enough charge to the battery. Let me know of the results.

Regards,

2 Bronze

Yes, my battery is Dell branded. I couldn't run the file, I got an error message saying my BIOS is too new.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. Try to discharged the battery to less than 10% and then charge the battery again using the AC adapter. Observe how long will it take.

2 Bronze

I can't discharge the battery; since it shuts off when ever it's not charging, power drain is virtually nonexistant.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There are 2 possible points of failure, battery or motherboard. Possible that the new battery failed, and not accepting charge. Likewise with motherboard, there could be an issue with the charging circuit on the main board. I suggest to try another battery just to see which one is causing the problem. Or if you can try your battery to a different XPS laptop to see if it charges.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions